Driving on suspended license

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkay0210

I recently moved to Illinois from the state of Michigan. Last August, i got a speeding ticket in Michigan. I was going through a divorce, and my husband at the time took my ticket, leading me to believe that he paid it. Someone here in Illinois who has been creating problems for me recently informed police that I was driving on a suspended license. This person obviously got this information from my ex-husband. Police issued a ticket to me for driving on a suspended license, even though he handed me the ticket while I was standing on the street, had not been driving a car, and he never asked for my license or anything. I did check with Michigan and verified that they had, in fact, suspended my license because that speeding ticket had not been paid as I believed it had been. How can I fight this in court here in Illinois, and can they convict me of this when I was not in a car at the time the ticket was issued?

The first thing to do is to contact the court in Michigan and pay the fines. If you do not know the court contact the Michigan DMV. Then pay the fee to the DMV to have your driving prividleges reinstated in Michigan.

Contact the clerk of court in Illinois and find out the procedure for entering a not guilty plea. Unless the officer is willing to lie on the stand the charges should be dismissed.

If you now live in Illinois you are required to have an Illinois drivers license. Had you done this you would have discovered the problem and you need to obtain one prior to your court date. Since this can have serious consequences you may want to consider retaining an attorney or at least getting some advice prior to court. Afterwards it is too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back