Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 18 year old college student, convicted of theft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm an 18 year old college student, convicted of theft 2 in dc. this is my first time being arrested. it all happened yesterday and here's how it went, i took some expensive clothes(between 350-400 dollars intotal) and placed them in a bag and and walked to the register, while waiting i for some reason decided to walk out, when i got out i was stopped by an employee waiting at the door and he asked me for my receipt, which i did not have, another employee (in disguise) beside him then asked me to follow him to the back room, i did so. there i was handcuffed to the chair and questioned during the questioning i lied to the officer who came in at some point about my age, i told him i was a juvenile and was not (this aggregated him ), after calling my parents they later found out about my real age (18), i was charged with theft 2 and made to sign some papers. later two more officers came by to transport me to a police station where i was held for at least three hours, i was finger printed and had my photograph taken there. later the officer who i lied to appeared to bring back my belongings, he cursed at me and stated that he didnt even want to see my face, i was then given a court date by the clerk which is a little over two weeks from now. im am a permanent resident looking to file for immigration. my neither i nor my parents have any knowledge of the legal system here...i have no idea how to proceed from this point. i am very ashamed at myself for succumbing to the temptation of walking out of the store, i would pay any fines i just want to continue my education with out impeding it with a spell in prison, please help

Your stay in this country is at serious as is your education. You are facing likely felony charges which could result in prison or deportation. You need to start calling lawyers today! Many offer free consultations get as many as you can. If possible find one familar with immigration law as well. I would also suggest you be proactive and enroll in an anti-shoplifting course.

i thought theft 2 was a misdemeanor not a felony, and it my first time doing anything of the sort, do i not qualify for a pre trial diversion program?

It may well be a misdemeanor I was going by dollar value alone. You could meet criteria for diversion if your county has such a program. If you do as I instructed with getting consultations you can get that answer. I can also tell you one member took the NASP program (as I suggested) and when he showed Judge he had completed the course he (The Judge) dismissed his case

im in washington dc, but i think we go by the maryland laws, not too sure. how much do you think the NASP course will cost, and how long does it take, because i have the court date in a little over 2 weeks

Go to useful info section of this site and yu wil find the felony theft levels for each state and DC that is what I used. The NASP course costs around $75.00 and it can be online so how long depends on you.

thanks for the quick responses, i also wanted to know what my chances of doing time in jail were, assuming i have completed the course because that is also one of my biggest fears right now

That depends on if its a felony or misdemeanor so its hard to say. If you can give the penal code your charged under that will help

im signing up for the SA course, and will seek information from some lawyers first thing tomorrow, is there any thing else i can or should do in the mean time

Hi, when I register the Sa course, it ask to "Enter Your Court Number/Retail Code", do you know where I can find this code? Thank you!
I have the same situation as you, except for that my age is 24.
Can we still apply for US Citizenship in a few years after this?

Where were you? Dc or MD? If it was Chevy Chase part is in dc and part MD. Pm me the name of the store with spaces ie d e p a r t m e n t s t o r e.

Was it a department store? I can help with a little more information.

lostinneedofhelp said:
the case was dropped, thanks for all the assistance

Not surprising based on your post. Keep in mind is something new comes up or was accidentally left out they can refile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back