Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft First time offender in MS? What To expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello1234

Please don't yell at me, I know what I did was wrong and I feel crappy enough about it. I stole about $30 of cosmetics and I was with my mom. She was unaware of it. I'm 16 and they called the cops. The man said I may or may not receive a civil demand letter, which I'm hoping that I won't. (but I most likely will). The cops let me go with my parents and told me that there will be a letter sent home in a month about family court or my court date. So what do I have to do? I know the classes will cost a lot, so I'd rather do community service and that the lawyer fees will be a lot too. I'm paying for all of this with my own money because I don't want my parents to have to do it. I just want to know what to expect because its my first time & I'll never do it again. Will I have a criminal record? one girl told me they that didn't put it on her record since she did the community service and that she was a first time offender also. I'm really scared and nervous. Any past experience will help too.

Its unlikley you will have the option to take community service or classes. The cost of an Attorney will vary however many offer free consultations so I suggest you get as many as possible to you can have a good knowledge of your legal optins like diversion to protect your record. You might also consider enrolling and completing an anti-shoplifting course.

Well they haven't sent any letters about the class yet, so I can't register because you need the code to do so. Its just that this happened so close to the holidays, so I know everyone is backed up and I'm turning 17 in a month, will that affect the severity of the punishment? or will they just punish me based on the age I was when I committed the crime?

So if I choose to enroll in this course before my court date or any court letters arrive home, will it make the judge be a little more lenient on my punishment? and what about my age?

Where I cannot say for certain I can say it wont hurt and will likey have positive results. Did you click on link in my signature line?

Thank you. I heard that if I do receive the civil demand and don't pay it, it will hurt my parent's credit and that's the last thing I want to do. So, I will definitely pay it if i receive the letter. Should I bring a proof of payment to court to if I do so?

Also, do you recommend I plead guilty or not guilty? Idk which one to do, I've heard that you should plea not guilty to do a diversion and lessen the sentence. I'm so new to all of this

Do you know how long it will take for them to send home a letter about my court date? they didn't tell me. They said it would take 2-4 weeks for the civil demand letter to arrive home if it does.

hello1234 said:
Also, do you recommend I plead guilty or not guilty? Idk which one to do, I've heard that you should plea not guilty to do a diversion and lessen the sentence. I'm so new to all of this

You do as instructred earlier and consult local Attorneys. They are in best position to advise you. However with no deal with DA in place I would suggest a not guilty plea until that is done.

Okay, sorry if I'm bothering you. I'm just new to this. My parents are nonchalant about it, Idk why.. when I'm having a force 5 freak out. They told me just to plead no contest because I don't want to fight or argue with the judge and they said they hope the judge will sentence me to community service.

Your not bothering us this is why we are here. Walking in and pleading guilty or no contest is the equal to writing a blank check. You cannot guarantee what you will get could be the max! Could be the minimum. You need to have a deal in place rather than risk more problems. If all you think you will get is community service your sadly mistaken most likely. Count on:

. Probation 6 months to one year
. Community service
. Fines less than $500.00 (not including Civil Demand)
. Likely classes which too will have a cost
. Criminal record unless part of an ACD or Diversion program

Judge could get creative but these are the norm. Keep in mind jail is an option but not likely

Well, I guess there is nothing much I can do right now since I know my parents don't have money and I don't think they will go through with anything until a court letter comes home. I know that I will have to take the classes and all the fines together including civil demand will probably add up to 1,000 dollars. Is there anyway you think that they would be able to take this off my record if I comply with all there rules? I know all the questions I ask will have an unknown answer, but any answer is fine. I'm really scared now.

Oh yeah, if I'm on probation, that doesn't mean I have to wear an ankle bracelet right? Cause I'll still need to go to school and stuff and I was planning on getting a job. Will my age affect the trial too? and what can I expect the judge to ask me during trial? will they most likely take me to a juvenille court? or an adult court? and will there be a jury present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back