Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught

Status
Not open for further replies.

KontonNoko

I was caught Shoplifting at a Meijers In Flint,Michigan the other day i stole God of war 1 and it was 19.99 i took the case in the bathroom removed the plastic, took out the disc and put it in my pocket and threw the case in the toilet. when i was leaving they pulled me into a room and my mother was called they fined me 10 Times what it was worth and said i have 30 days. i want to know is can they still fine me even though they got the merchandise back in working condition and intact also how much jail time will be received if the fine was not paid

First off the fine is legal and state law. Its called Civil Demand. It has no relation to any criminal charges that might be filed. Now not paying could provoke them into filing those charges. It can also result in this fine tripling and your being sued this could cost you thousands!

Just a note: Yes they got merchandise back but not in its packaging which makes selling it virtually impossible

Konton-Noko said:
I was caught Shoplifting at a Store name In Flint,Michigan the other day i stole God of war 1 and it was 19.99 i took the case in the bathroom removed the plastic, took out the disc and put it in my pocket and threw the case in the toilet. when i was leaving they pulled me into a room and my mother was called they fined me 10 Times what it was worth and said i have 30 days. i want to know is can they still fine me even though they got the merchandise back in working condition and intact also how much jail time will be received if the fine was not paid

You ruined the item yes they can fine you (They can fine you if you don't ruin the item too, it pays for the cost of security). Well, not you, your parents since you are a minor, your paernts are resposable for the fine.

No jail if the fine is not paid, but the store will then sue your parents, and instead of $200 you'd be looking at possibly more than $2000.00 not to mention if you don't pay, the store might then decide to press charges, opening a whole new world of problems for you.

You most likely owe civil demand and civil restitution. One is to make the retailer whole for damaging the merchandise, rendering it unsaleable and the other is the civil demand which is a state law that allows retailers to collect monies from the accused shoplifters to offset their security expenses.

If charged criminally, you can be charged with theft of the item, plus a destruction charge. If you used something to open the package (a key, knife etc) additional charges of burglary tools could be added on.

Konton-Noko said:
...I took the case in the bathroom removed the plastic, took out the disc & put it in my pocket and threw the case in (or into) the toilet. when i was leaving they pulled me into a room and my mother was called they fined me 10 Times what it was worth and said i have 30 days. i want to know is can they still fine me even though they got the merchandise back in working condition and intact...
It sounds like you destroyed the packaging by opening the plastic wrapping & dumping the packaging into(?) a toilet, so even though the game works, there's no intact packaging. Sorry- my guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back