Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Caught.. Don't really know what to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtfiscrewedup

I am 19 and was caught shoplifting at a local store in Nevada. A friend who also is 19 was with me. This was my first and LAST time shoplifting. The item was worth $30. As I walked out the store loss prevention appeared and I went inside a room. The officer filled out papers with my identification. I really didn't know what it was.

A few minutes later a police officer showed up and began questioning more. I was later charged with petty larceny while my friend was let go with a fine. I assume it is a civil demand. The officer gave me my pink sheet that stated "Did Intentionally steal/take goods from ____ Value Less than $250" With my posted bail and court date.

The questions I have are what can I do while I wait for my fine and court? Is my friend only going to have to pay the fine and thats it?

I think I know the basics. It is best to not plead guilty. I should seek free consultation. Since I cannot afford a lawyer I will most likely request a Public Defender.

Is there anything else I need to know that can help me? What are the chances of me being accepted into a diversion program? Thanks in advance

Not all county's have Diversion programs. You can ask about them when you have these Lawyer consultations. Unless you have some prior convictions for anything Diversion should be an option. We can't say what will happen to your friend as we do not know why he was released or many details of event. I can suggest that you enroll and an Anti Shoplifting course before court. This will show Judge remorse and likely increase your chances of Diversion. I can recommend one. If you like send me a private message and I will give you that info

iscrewedup said:
I think I know the basics. It is best to not plead guilty. I should seek free consultation. Since I cannot afford a lawyer I will most likely request a Public Defender.

Is there anything else I need to know that can help me? What are the chances of me being accepted into a diversion program? Thanks in advance

Depends on if there is a deversion program, and your record.

And its not always best to plead "not guilty", talk with your lawyer, but if they have you on video, you admitted to the theft in front of officers/security etc pleading not guilty wastes everyones time and taxpayers money.
Sometimes its best to fess up to your mistakes, take your lumps and learn from them.

I do not know why my friend is released as the officer said they could charge with assisting.

Do they automatically have it on video since lost prevention stopped me outside the store? I signed the papers agreeing that I am banned from the store. I really don't know. I would like to just plead guilty but i don't really know.

Thanks in advance

Admin said:
Not all county's have Diversion programs. You can ask about them when you have these Lawyer consultations. Unless you have some prior convictions for anything Diversion should be an option. We can't say what will happen to your friend as we do not know why he was released or many details of event. I can suggest that you enroll and an Anti Shoplifting course before court. This will show Judge remorse and likely increase your chances of Diversion. I can recommend one. If you like send me a private message and I will give you that info

can you send me a private msg i need that course also before the court thanx

Just wanted to say thank you. I only hope to turn my life around and never look back on this again and hope for the best in the future.

Hi I just wanted to ask a little question. I spoke with a lawyer for a concultation. I explained my situation that I was in. He said I could be facing up to 6 months in jail. This is in Nevada. I asked what are the possibility of getting into a diversion program as this is my first offense.

He said where did you hear that from and I said from Lost Prevention. He said there was no such thing. He then said I might be able to complete programs, pay fines, and do community service. But I thought that is what a Diversion program is. I don't know if I should believe him. He said I could only be issued a public defender if they are sentencing me to jail time.

But what you and this site suggests, it seems a lot more helpful than what he said. I'm just asking because I don't know what to do.

You might talk to some other Lawyers. Diversion is not available everywhere and your county coud be one such location. It would be wise to consult other Attorneys to be sure. What was your actual charge? 6 months seem ratehr extreme for a $30.00 theft?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back