Computer Crimes, Hacking Taking facebook profile pictures and posting elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgalpin

Hi

Short background - I banned a guy from a forum I am a moderator on after repeated requests to clean up his act and honor the forum rules. It was a group decision but since I was the once being active in public I am now the object of this guy's attention. He has a history of holding a grudge and has harassed someone else for years until now, which is mainly why I am concerned.

The first thing he did was message me on facebook with

"See, now that you banned me, you started it. It will never end. Not with you. Not with your wife. Not with your daughter. Haven't you learned, <name of previous guy he has been stalking>?"

I found this threatening myself but didn't make too much of it. Later a friend pointed me to another forum where he had taken my facebook profile picture and made it his avatar, and changed his signature to "<my name> eat shit". I don't go to that forum very often (last post 2.5 years ago) but I believe this is one of the ways he harassed <name of previous guy he has been stalking>.

I then noticed he dug up the last thread I had posted on about going to an event one day and said "Your daughter was there all week" and posted her facebook profile picture. I complained via someone we know mutually and he deleted the post about my daughter but has kept me as his avatar with the lovely signature line.

He also put my daughters profile picture on a online gallery he has accesss to. I contacted the owner of the gallery and they removed it for me without issue.

1. Has he committed any crimes?
2. Am I able to request the pictures get removed with a DMCA takedown request since my daughter and I own copyright to our pictures?
3. I assume I am SOL on the signature?

Sorry for being so long winded - I am a bit rattled. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You're probably (to use your acronym) SOL on any remedy.

If there is a remedy in law, it is more than likely cost prohibitive.

However, if you've got an extra $20,000 lying around, you probably could pursue some sort a civil tort against him.

Forget small claims court, that is only about monetary damages.

I suggest you IGNORE this fiend.

Remember what was taught in Psych 101, and Skinner's stimulus - response theory?

You fail to respond, the stimulus will be extinguished.

I suggest you ignore him, he'll quit.

Last edited:
I've got a bit of a different take. If I were OP, specially given the Facebook messages, I would probably take them to the local police station and make a report. The behavior might just constitute harassment.

And given the person's history for harassment? This might not be the usual case of "oh, just another interweb twit". Y'know?

I'd be a little concerned, too. Specially with the mention of the spouse and daughter.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I did make a report but the police say there is nothing there that's actionable. I'm taking screenshots and keeping notes on it all in case it continues or gets to the point where I have a case. However according to my local police the computer laws in VA are crap and this guy would literally have to throw a computer at me, and physically hurt me with it, before they have anything to go on. LOL.

In the end Army judge is right thought. Ignoring him is the best policy. I managed to pull some strings and got my stuff removed from his profile and will be declared off limits on that site This may just enrage him and attack me in other ways, but I really wanted it gone there as it's his main playground and I wanted to make a point about crossing a line with my daughter. I'm hoping this will be the end of it, or at least nothing I can't ignore for now.

I am considering purchasing a handgun as well. Sad really.

If you're reluctant or reticent to purchase a gun, don't.

Why?

You'd probably be reluctant or hesitant in using it.

These creeps are bullies.

They get their jollies by making you upset.

Never let him see you sweat.

You ignore him, show no interest in his antics and hijinks, he'll slither back under the pile of donkey poo where he resides!!!

Hey i wont embrace your decision of having a gun with you it is not a solution also don't let all of this put mental stress on you. This kind of people are attention seeker don't give him any importance nor to his stuff totally ignore him how long he will continue this harassment game if you don't play it with him. Just continue your life and be alert about your and your family safety that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back