Quiet Enjoyment Neighbor calls the police a lot with false accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.

teresal

We live in a small 1br apt. on the 2nd floor and our neighbor lives right next to us so we share the same kitchen wall. She has called the police on us 4 times in 2 months. 1st time said our music was to loud be cause she can here it through the wall this was in the middle of the summer around 1pm. 2nd) she said we were slamming our kitchen cabinets and front door. 3rd) was I had my music up when I was mopping my floors and cleaning, I had the front door open doing my floors. 4th) was when we was preparing dinner and my husband was cutting up some homemade French fries wit an older manual French fry cutter and it made some noise on the counter at the end of each potato cut. By the 4the potatoes she was already pounding on the wall. So I went next door to let her know we were just cutting up potatoes. She started yelling and saying we were about knocking her glasses off the wall with all the banging. Since she was yelling I was not going to try to keep talking to her, my husband said we will just call the police I told him why I am sure she is going to already. A few minuets later we herd her music turn on and up after about 5 minuets she turned it off then approximately 20 minuets later we had the police at our door saying the got a complaint about us playing loud music and harassing our neighbor. Each time the police have come they have not seen anything wrong. We have told the police what happened and they say ok and then leave. The next day in the afternoon I went to talk to the manager and when I walked in she stated "could I please tell my husband to quit harassing our neighbor" I said what? I was the one that went over and talked to her; he didn't even come to the door or say anything to her. He does not even talk to her if he sees her coming he walks inside don't say a word to her so how is he harassing her? The manager said she can here him through the walls. I said that is not true we are not going to waste our time bitching about her. The manager said if she keeps complaining she can evict us. How is this when we haven't done anything wrong? We have tried talking to her she starts yelling, then after that it is every little thing she starts beating on the wall. Now she is just out right lying to the manager and police. We do not complain about her dogs barking a lot during the day every time someone walks by on the walkway when she is gone, or when she comes in drunk 2-3am in the morning and starts making so much noise it wakes us up. Our neighbor on the other side of us has never complained nor has the neighbor that lives right below us. And we ask them a lot if we are being too loud and each time they say no.

I now feel that she is just doing this to harass us. Is there anything I can do So we do not get evicted? And can I file harassment charges on her? to have her stop calling the police they have more important & serious things to take care of with there time.

Thank you for you time and help in this matter.

Sincerely
Teresa Leckenby

You have two seperate issues here.

1. If the Police complaints come up with nothing once Police arrive and its something that happens over and over yes its possible a false report complaint could be filed. Contact the Watch Sgt at your local Police Station and ask them about this

2. If the Landlord feels there is a breach of rental agreement (interfernce of the quiet enjoyment of other tenants) he has grounds to ask you to leave. You might discuss the issue with your Landlord to avoid this if its even an option Landlord has considered

Tit for tat, tit for tat!

When she makes noise, do not contact her; simply dial "911" and report her noise violation to the police.

Tit for tat, tit for tat!

Thank you jacksgal: I will definitely be contacting the Watch Sgt first thing in the morning. I do so much greatly appreciate you taking the time & the speed in which you have replied back to my issue. will let you know what happens.
Thank you again have a great week We hope you will have a wonderful Holiday. ;)

Sincerely
Teresa and Joe

I'd stop making contact with them altogether.

I wouldn't put it past your female neighbor to start thinking about making false allegations against your hubby. She may say he threatened her or even put his hands on her.

If you or your hubby continue to make contact, make sure everything is being recorded.

Document everything.

well our neighbor has done it again she called the police again and said we were harassing her. around 4:30pm she was standing right in front of our front window yelling down to her friend gabbing about her animals. my husband works hard doing concrete and gets up early for work he was taking a nap on the couch and she was so loud it woke him up and he is cranky when he gets woke up like that after a long cold day at work. he got up and opened the door to see who it was yelling after he seen who it was he stepped back in and slammed our door closed he didn't say a word to her. after he a few he went out to smoke a cigarette and she was no longer outside. then about 2 1/2 hour later there was a sheriff at our door saying that we are harassing her and we harass her every day. I again told the sheriff what happened even the part about my husband being upset and slamming the door. I also told him all the things we have adjusted just to get along with her even went to the extent of removing our stereo and speakers from our house so she would not complain about that. when the officer left he said that it seemed like we are trying to get along and even go out of our way not to talk or even pass by her. then he politely left. It is now really starting to irritate me her constantly calling the police on us with these false accusations we are feeling that we are constantly walking on egg shells in our own apartment. our apartment is in between her apartment and another neighbor, we also have a neighbor right below us, and we do not have any complaints from either of them. OK so anyhow what I was wondering if when the police get called and they find nothing wrong is there a police report still made and if so how can I get a copy of the report to show that we didn't do anything wrong each time she called the police. she has complained to the manager for us saying goodbye to each other in the mornings. every morning I walk my husband to the door with his lunch and we give each other a kiss and say goodbye and have a good day. we can not even enjoy having any company over or in fact even going outside because she will probably call the police just for walking by her. I have to tell you its getting really old and I am not sure what we can do to make her stop so that we can just live our life. with out all her drama BS. Any help or input to our next step to take will be Soooooo much appreciated. Thank you
sincerely Teresa & Joe Leckenby

Who wants to live like that?

There is very little you can do about the behavior of others.

If I were in your position, I'd move.

Things like this have a way of getting out of hand.

I had a similar situation develop at a temp apartment I rented in OK. On 2 of the times she complained, I could prove I was out of state. I finally sent a complaint to the complex, advising I was tired of being harassed and requested her name, to pursue a cease and desist order. I went out of town a few weeks later, by the time I got back they had evicted her. As I said, I had proof I was not even in the state at times she complained.

Thanks disagreeable I wonder if that would work for me but we were home but we were not doing anything wrong as the police have said. but I believe she calls in anonymously sometimes. I only know her first name. and i am trying to find out how to get any of the police reports if there is any because there was nothing wrong. If anyone can advise me on how to find out if there is any and how to get them it will greatly help.
Sincerely Teresa Leckenby

we are looking for another place. I don't want anything falsely being done to slander our reputation or rental background.
thank you all for the input and help.
Sincerely Teresa Leckenby

I contacted the local police department and they say that they have no reports. they do show some calls made. The person at the sheriffs office said since there was nothing wrong when they came to the house there was nothing to report. so now I am confused on what to do next.

How can I obtain anything that is in my rental file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back