Can I Get Short Term Disability in Ohio and do I have grounds for a lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

adjuster

I am an insurance adjuster. I've been physically attacked (once by a person and the 2nd time customer unleashed his Rottweiler) twice in the past 2 years. Recently, was physically intimidated and verbally abused. Management was notified in all instances and did nothing to secure the protection of its employees. In the last instance, management was notified prior to the inspection of concerns about customer's aggressive behavior but nothing was done.
Consequently, have been suffering debilitating panic attacks, depression, and stress and am on medication. Off work because of this for the next 30 days per doctor's order. Last year, soon after the 2nd attack with the dog, doctor had me off work for 8 weeks for the very same diagnosis.
Need to know whether I am eligible to file short term disability and is there grounds for lawsuit in providing unsafe work environment?
Thanks in advance for the response.

Your claim, if there is a claim, emanates from your employer's workers compensation insurance.

If you have short term disability insurance, file a claim with your provider.

Otherwise, if a remedy exists, it lies within your state's workers compensation system.

Last edited:
So Army Judge, I am seeing my doctor again tomorrow. he agrees that I should no longer continue in this position due to aforementioned reasons. So let me be clear, should I have my doctor submit short term disability to my employer? My therapist informed that my medical condition is the result of work but said that I would probably have to hire a lawyer to be granted workers comp. Your thoughts? Thanks

So Army Judge, I am seeing my doctor again tomorrow. he agrees that I should no longer continue in this position due to aforementioned reasons. So let me be clear, should I have my doctor submit short term disability to my employer? My therapist informed that my medical condition is the result of work but said that I would probably have to hire a lawyer to be granted workers comp. Your thoughts? Thanks

While a physician's recommendations and findings can be helpful to you, they are in no way mandates your employer must follow.

I suggest you consult with a workers compensation attorney BEFORE you do anything.

Why?

You need to understand YOUR rights and responsibilities.

Speak to an attorney before you leap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back