First speeding ticket in 12 years - on my motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyfroggy

I spent all day yesterday on my motorcycle riding the Cherohala Skyway and US129 in Tennessee and North Carolina. On the way back home (Atlanta area), I took a 'shortcut' onto US64/74 west because I was tired and hungry. Some of you may know this particlar part in Cherokee county near Murphy...it's a long, straight, flat, and desolate landfill area with 4 lanes and a speed limit of 55, a perfect road for trapping speeders; but I was just taking it easy on the gas...trying to avoid a ticket in fact.

I got tagged by an unmarked car coming the opposite direction. He hit his lights and started heading across the grassy median, and I threw up an arm to acknowledge him immediately. I slowed and pulled over as soon as it was safe (about 30 seconds).

The officer said I was clocked at 79, that my license would be revoked for such an infraction, but that he would only charge me for 'speeding' because I didn't flee (as lots of bikers try to do). I will admit to perhaps being slightly over the speed limit, but not by 24 mph, and although I'm not being charged with '79 in a 55' and only as 'speeding', the 79 mph speed is still noted on the citation...that sort of upsets me as I am an extremely safe and courteous driver/rider.

But the kicker to the whole thing is that he noted my bike make as Ducati (it is Suzuki) and the year as 2003 (it is 1998). I'm thinking I could get off on a technicality. I mean if the officer can't even read an insurance document and a gas tank (let alone the DMV info in his computer) that all clearly read 1998 Suzuki, how can he be trusted to have accurately read his speed detection device while moving at a high rate of speed? Can anybody confirm this?

I'm afraid my bike insurance is going to go through the roof now! With a collision claim I had last year and now this, perhaps my insurance company will start seeing me as a bigger risk. To top it off, I'm still young and single, a prime target for a rate increase...unless I can get this taken away, I'm probably screwed and will no longer be able to afford to keep my bike.

How can I beat this ticket? Will the technicality save me? What are my other options?

Thanks.

Check with the NC DMV. I don't think they report simple speeding tickets back to GA. Let us know when you find out for sure. The officer was talking about NC law which is a suspension for anything over 15mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back