Income for Child Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsadvise

My state is NC

My ex and I have been to court many times over child support. The ex has been found in contempt of court on two occassions. Has always owned own companies and is very skilled at depressing and hiding income.

My ex and I have an upcoming hearing to review child support. The ex recently received a a one time lump sum court settlement in the amount of $360,000 for his part of ownership in a corporation. The ex is not listing this settlement as income on his affidavit.

My questions are:

1. Should the settlement be listed as income for child support calculation?
2. Is this considered non-recurring income?
3. If this settlement is non recurring income, how do the courts usually distribute this income for the purposes of child support calculation?

Thanks.

If there is $400,000 involved, hire a lawyer. Let your lawyer figure it out.

If he's smart enough to make millions, he's smart enough to fool you. Hire a lawyer, if you want a share of the loot.

Wow, could of sworn I was in a law forum that actually answers legal questions. Believe me I know I can go see a lawyer, I've spent thousands and thousands over the years with lawyers. But when you are a single mom and your ex won't pay child support and lies constantly about his income, your lawyer funds get depleted pretty quickly. Personally I'd rather my daughter get the child support she deserves and has been cheated out of for 15 years.

If anyone can give me a valid legal answer or opinion, I would really appreciate it.

Your case is far too complicated for any of us to provide you a specific answer.

Beyond that, none of us has an attorney-client relationship with you.

As an attorney, I'm not going to risk losing my law license by practicing law over the Internet. No real lawyer practices law without consulting a potential client.

Life is about making the right choices.

I wish you well.

Wow, could of sworn I was in a law forum that actually answers legal questions. Believe me I know I can go see a lawyer, I've spent thousands and thousands over the years with lawyers. But when you are a single mom and your ex won't pay child support and lies constantly about his income, your lawyer funds get depleted pretty quickly. Personally I'd rather my daughter get the child support she deserves and has been cheated out of for 15 years.

If anyone can give me a valid legal answer or opinion, I would really appreciate it.

If there is $400,000 involved, hire a lawyer. Let your lawyer figure it out.
If he's smart enough to make millions, he's smart enough to fool you. Hire a lawyer, if you want a share of the loot.
Wow, could of sworn I was in a law forum that actually answers legal questions. Believe me I know I can go see a lawyer, I've spent thousands and thousands over the years with lawyers. But when you are a single mom and your ex won't pay child support and lies constantly about his income, your lawyer funds get depleted pretty quickly. Personally I'd rather my daughter get the child support she deserves and has been cheated out of for 15 years. If anyone can give me a valid legal answer or opinion, I would really appreciate it.
Actually, you just got the best advice you'd recieve anywhere on the Internet. What army judge is saying is that if $400,000 is involved, some lawyer is probably going to be willing to take your case and find a better way to help you finance your case. You could try to get part of that $400k and get little to nothing by using no help or that with low level skills. If your husband is as shrewd as you say, then he'll have much more money hidden elsewhere that a skilled attorney can find and whose experience will provide you with a significantly higher settlement.

Considering nobody here knows much more about your case than the limited amount of vague information and a number, we can give you general information that covers cases as a whole - but your case obviously is not the run of the mill small numbers case. There are some big numbers and a respondent who is crafty. Your case is just the kind of case that should be taken to an expert. People here can help you understand small things but that won't really help you the way you wish - with actual money in pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back