Business Debt, Collections Can a business disclose personal financial information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstudent86

My aunt just called me and asked for advice about a situation she is dealing with, and I need help answering her question. She works for a real estate company in Virginia and her husband works in North Carolina, so they are both back and forth a lot since they have to live apart. Recently her step daughter was married and the owner of the real estate company where she works referred her to their florist with instructions to use the owners name when doing business. My aunt ended up using the florist and the final bill was due this past Friday. She was going to leave work and go pay the bill on her way home. Her boss ended up offering her a few hours off so that she could leave early and see her husband for the weekend. My aunt unfortunately in her excitement forgot to pay the florist on Friday. Come monday morning the florist sent her a nasty email informing her about the bill and that she should not "throw" her bosses name around. The florist also copied my aunts boss on the email. So, the florist disclosed personal financial information to my aunts boss putting her in possible trouble at work. My aunt did forget to pay her bill and she was irresponsible, however instead of dealing with her the florist vindictively attached her bosses name on the email as retribution for the late payment. Did the florist break some kind of law by attaching her boss to the email? Help would be much appreciated!! Thanks

I am sorry to hear about your aunt's problem. It is really rude when the florist sent her nasty email including the boss's email. Talking about disclosuring the personal infomation in business, if your aunt signed a contract with the florist about that, he broke law. However, as I guess in this case that your aunt did not sign any contract related to that, so it is a disadvantage for her on the court.
Your aunt can explain with the boss about her situation. Her boss also can not fire her because of her personal business.
Hope she is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back