Ask a Legal Question
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Accused of shoplifting, came back ..with the recipt

    Jurisdiction / State: Washington



    I was in Rite Aide about 3 days ago, spent over 85.00 dollars. While I was looking at some costume jewelry the cashier came over and started to move my cart. I politely told her "I'm useing that." She said she was just playing with it. I realized this teen-age girl stareing at me a few times. I paid for my items and left the store.
    Today I was back at Rite-Aide, only to buy a 12 pk. of beer. I walked in, grabbed a cart and went straight to the cooler. The only thing I noticed was about 3 Corporate types there at the store. I walked straight to the checkstand from the cooler. No lookie, lou. Just from point A to point B. I asked the clerk for a pack of cigareettes as I took the beer out of the cart to pay for it. All of a sudden there was a man standing in front of me but further to the right of the cashier and I. He was leaning on rail, and some type of fiberglass divider.
    He was stareng at me in a contemptuous manner, and bobbing his head in a gesture of disdain. As I went to swipe my debit card he says,"What about the shoes?". I said "what,shoes?" Again he says "The shoes" I glance away from him for a second again"the shoes" I said what are you talking about?" I realize hes a manager. I said what are you implyeing? That I stole these slippers I'm weareing? He continues stareing,and bobbing his head. In the mean time the cashiers standing there, everything comes to a dead stop,. the customers and the employees are all stareing at me. He says a customer saw me steal them. I said What! What customer!? I bought these slippers 2 days ago,here. " I said I came in here with the smallest purse in the world,and how could I steal them when all I did was walk in and go from point A to point B ? I said here, take my card and look it up on the computer. You can see I purchased these a few days ago. He says he can't do that. I said oh yes you can. I've worked in retail most of my life and at Albertsons for the last 15 years and I know you can. I look around and try to get some support from the customers, there all glareing at me. I see the cashier that rang my order up, and I say you remeber me don't you,? I bought the earrings and a dog leash, a yellow top and skirt, amongt other things. She says yes but I don't remember the slippers. I told him I'm so angry I'm ready to call the Police, he says something like I wish you would. I said...I'm gonna go home and get my recipet. He scoffs at me and tells the girls to ring me up, and walks away. I was so angry I told the employee whats his name? She tells me, I leave, I see the corporate guys outside.I'm so angry I have tears rolling down my face and tell them how I was jus accused of shoplifting. They ask by who? I tell them, they give me a phone number to call.(They were just managers from another store) I called compained,and was told I would be contacted the next Bis. day. I went back to the store with my recipt. Asked the cocky girl from the day before wheres Mc-----? "Call him up front. I had circled the slippers on the recipt. He comes walking out and I have th common coutesey to move out of earshot from the employees and customers. I wave it as a flag when he walks out. He stares at it for about 3 min. He says nothing, I say nothing. Finally I say I circled it. He says I see that. I say well you've beenstareing at it for so long, I didn't think you had figured out. He stands and continues stareing at it. In the mean time A couple of women are walkng out of the store and the alarms are going off. He does nothing. I say, aren't you gonna do something? Looks like you got a couple of live thieves there. He does nothing,says nothing. He says well, A customer says you stole them. I said oh no they didn't. It was that young girl behind the counter. He never looked at me in the eye, from the min. I walked back into that store. He hands me back the recipt and whispers sorry, not looking at me..as he walks away. I turn and say, thanks for that great apology, you should be heareing from your District manager shortly. I call my husband whos working out of state. He calls the manager and says I hear you accused my wife of shoplifting (He didn't swear or yell) The Manager told my Husband I was in and out and in and out of the store, lieing point blank. He told him you slanderd my wife, and good luck buddy, she calling Attorneys right now. Oh, I forgot, one of my last words to the manager was..You have no idea,who you're messing with. I've never been more humiliated,berated,and embaressed in my life. When your an employee for a Supermarket your almost like a small town celebrity. Especially since I've known my customers for 15 years. Watched there babies grow up and I can't walk down the street without someone waving at me..or talking to me for a few min. Now what? Sincerly yours. Thankyou for your time.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Samaritan & Scholar
    army judge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pago Pago
    Posts
    13,889
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Now what?

    You forget this unfortunate episode, stop shopping there, write a letter to the CEO of Rite-Aid telling him why you made this decision, and then shut up about this.

    There is nothing more you can do.

    Do not let this poison kill you.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to army judge For This Useful Post:

    roryswife (09-25-2011)

  4. #3
    jacksgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 281 Times in 281 Posts
    Contact the corporate office tell them your issue and demand compensation. The will likely give you a gift card for your trouble. That is the best you can hope out of this. By the way the owner of this site also owns a site just for retail theft issues www.thelaw.com there you can get answers on the normal procedure for such stops and the normal reactions to "bad stops".
    For non legal parenting help go to www.parentnook.com

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksgal For This Useful Post:

    roryswife (09-25-2011)

  6. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thankyou so much Jacks girl. Funny thing, I,as a woman have a unusual resemblence to Mr. Depp. The company I work for have me dress up as Mr. Sparrow whenever a New Movie is released. (Our Supermarket sells videos also) We have normally the highest sales in our District of about 4 states,anywho

    Thankyou so much for your advice. Your a Scholar, and one heck of a nice woman. Sncerly yours..Roryswife

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thankyou..you're quick to the point, and seem like a no nonsense type.. Thankyou Sincerly.,for your intrest and quick response.

  8. #6
    jacksgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 281 Times in 281 Posts
    Your welcome
    For non legal parenting help go to www.parentnook.com

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksgal For This Useful Post:

    roryswife (09-25-2011)

  10. #7
    Registered User Samaritan & Scholar
    mightymoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hanford, CA
    Posts
    6,044
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 561 Times in 557 Posts
    Hmm... I understand why you were upset, but as you describe the situation I don't see that you were slandered or that anything else was inappropriate. Neither the manager nor the clerk accused you of theft. The manager said a customer told him you had stolen them, but apparently didn't accuse you- in fact he allowed you to leave the store without taking any action at all. The clerk only said she didn't remember the slippers in the transaction, which is believable. The clerk makes many transactions and can't possibly remember what everyone buys.
    You did not have to go back and show a receipt. The manager did not have to apologize.

    As said above, if you don't like how you were treated at the store then stop going there. Plenty of other stores would be happy to do business without making you feel miserable.

    You should not expect to get any kind of compensation over this whatsoever... though some companies will hand out the gift cards to make you go away.

  11. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dear Mr.or Mrs. Moose,
    Apparently you have never worked with the public, or in retail. A persons reputation is very important to me. He may have not called me a thief, but it was geniuenly implied. When I walked in that store I saw him, and his Managers who had come to help. He had his back to me, I walked in,got a cart that was inches from me, picked up the item I was to purchase,put it in my cart. There were absolutely no customers where I picked up the item, passed the clearence cage where the slippers went and went directly to the cashier with no one in front of me. It was a matter of less then 2 minutes. No customers saw me, because there where none from point A to point B. The transaction should have been done in 2 min. This whole event lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, in front of customers and emloyees. I am a 5 foot 1 inch, 100 lb. Grandmother. I have had anxiety problems since my only sibling,my sister, and Father died within months,. This has caused me anxiety attacks, not to mention insomnia. Its 3 am now. I brought my receipt back to save face and prove that I'm not a thief. The District Manager had left a message on my answering machine, within minutes of this entire fiasco. Monday we hash it out. This Manager is a liar also,. He told my husband that I was in and out, and in and out that store,which caused his concern, and that a customer said I stole. I work in retail and know,this is a big deal,at least were I work. Maybe an apologize isn't needed lawfully, but it is moraly,as far as I'm cocerned. He's over 6 feet tall and was very meanecing in his disdainful, gesticulations. So lets see what happens Monday. What about this all going on in front of customers? Now when I'm in another store,they can say what happened at Riteaid and say "Watch out for this one she's a thief!" Apparently this has never happend to you, because I think you'd be more sympathetic.Thanks for your opinion, everyones got one.


  12. jacksgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 281 Times in 281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksgal View Post
    Contact the corporate office tell them your issue and demand compensation. The will likely give you a gift card for your trouble. That is the best you can hope out of this. By the way the owner of this site also owns a site just for retail theft issues www.thelaw.com there you can get answers on the normal procedure for such stops and the normal reactions to "bad stops".
    I still think my above suggestions will prove helpful. You might consult the above mentioned site before you make that call as well
    For non legal parenting help go to www.parentnook.com

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksgal For This Useful Post:

    roryswife (09-27-2011)

  14. #10
    Registered User Samaritan & Scholar
    mightymoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hanford, CA
    Posts
    6,044
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 561 Times in 557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roryswife View Post
    Dear Mr.or Mrs. Moose,
    Apparently you have never worked with the public, or in retail. A persons reputation is very important to me. He may have not called me a thief, but it was geniuenly implied. When I walked in that store I saw him, and his Managers who had come to help. He had his back to me, I walked in,got a cart that was inches from me, picked up the item I was to purchase,put it in my cart. There were absolutely no customers where I picked up the item, passed the clearence cage where the slippers went and went directly to the cashier with no one in front of me. It was a matter of less then 2 minutes. No customers saw me, because there where none from point A to point B. The transaction should have been done in 2 min. This whole event lasted about 10 to 15 minutes, in front of customers and emloyees. I am a 5 foot 1 inch, 100 lb. Grandmother. I have had anxiety problems since my only sibling,my sister, and Father died within months,. This has caused me anxiety attacks, not to mention insomnia. Its 3 am now. I brought my receipt back to save face and prove that I'm not a thief. The District Manager had left a message on my answering machine, within minutes of this entire fiasco. Monday we hash it out. This Manager is a liar also,. He told my husband that I was in and out, and in and out that store,which caused his concern, and that a customer said I stole. I work in retail and know,this is a big deal,at least were I work. Maybe an apologize isn't needed lawfully, but it is moraly,as far as I'm cocerned. He's over 6 feet tall and was very meanecing in his disdainful, gesticulations. So lets see what happens Monday. What about this all going on in front of customers? Now when I'm in another store,they can say what happened at Riteaid and say "Watch out for this one she's a thief!" Apparently this has never happend to you, because I think you'd be more sympathetic.Thanks for your opinion, everyones got one.

    Most of this is irrelevant and does not really support accusations of slander.
    You could have left at any time. You certainly did not have to stay there and argue for 15 minutes in front of other customers if doing so made you uncomfortable.

    The best way for you to address this problem is to spend your money elsewhere, and to make sure the people in charge know exactly why.

    Stay away from courts and lawyers with this- it is frivolous and you will just be losing money.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to mightymoose For This Useful Post:

    roryswife (09-26-2011)

  16. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thankyou for your time. I wouldn't spend time or money on an Attorney for this.,I too believe it to be frivolous. As most people in small court say.." It's the principal o the thing" Yeah, I get it now. I really wasn't argueing with him. I was first in shock and didn't know what he was talking about. I wasn't even wearing shoes. ( Rubber Slippers) Then I was defending myself. I have never had this happen to me before in 53 years. I really didn't know what to do. Thankyou for your concern, Sincerly yours.

  17. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksgal View Post
    I still think my above suggestions will prove helpful. You might consult the above mentioned site before you make that call as well
    I have received the best, and most useful information from you. A thousand thanks!!! I wrote as you proposed to the thread you reccomended. I wait with baited breath from Riteaide.

  18. #13
    jacksgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,517
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 281 Times in 281 Posts
    I saw your post on other site
    For non legal parenting help go to www.parentnook.com

Similar Threads

  1. Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wrongly accused of Shoplifting
    By WhatsHappening in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 09:35 AM
  2. Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Wrongly accused of shoplifting
    By majellamcf in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 11:03 AM
  3. Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Falsely accused of shoplifting
    By legalquestion4u in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 04:09 PM
  4. Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Accused of shoplifting no evidence
    By citycenter in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 11:10 PM
  5. Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Accused of Shoplifting
    By zigzagn in forum Criminal Charges
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 12:14 AM

Log in

Log in