NY/NJ Interstate Custody - obtainable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njstepmom

Hello,

My Husband has two daughters (7 & 9) who reside with their Mother in NY state - 4 hours away from where we currently live. They have been divorced 6 years. My Husband voluntarily relocated from NY state to NJ a few years ago. Him and I met and are now married and own a house large enough for us and his two daughters.
He tried for custody twice (6 years ago) when he was young, naive, and unable to financially support two children on his own - he lost. Now he is financially stable and able to provide a solid home and good environment for his children.

His daughters live with the Mother who doesn't work and she is currently on welfare and has been for several years. Social services have been to her house several times to investigate claims of neglect and supposively the neglect claims were unfounded. At one point she told us she was being sent to parenting classes. She has 4 other children from two other relationships - for a grand total of 6 kids under the age of 10 - that she takes care of by herself. Due to her messing up some paperwork she has lost housing for her and the children several times in the last 6 years resulting in the children having to change school systems a couple of times. Both of my husbands children have learning disabilities and we do not believe that their Mother is ensuring they get the help they need in school. The Mother lost her license and does not own a car. My Husband's children are often expected to cook, clean and take care of their siblings while their Mother watches TV.

My Husband and I believe that his two girls should be with us. We are able to provide for them emotionally, financially and make sure they get the help with school that they need. The girls are asking more and more frequently to come live with us.

Even though we are 4 hours away in a different state, do we still have a shot at getting custody? If so, what sort of information should we gather in preperation for talking with a lawyer?

We appreciate any/all comments.
Thank you.

You should see an attorney. Only they can tell you if you have a chance. If you can prove you can provide a better environment for the kids, he might have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back