Using a table in a book on a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksmind

Hello,

I want to create a completely free educational website. I would like to use a table of various pathogens found in microbiology. There is a chart which shows these classifications that I would like to put up. These are important tables that span 5 flashcards out of about 150 flashcards. You can find similar tables across the internet, but none so comprehensive. I'm assuming this would be considered infringement. Am I correct? If so, how much would I have to change the table to make its use non-infringing (fair-use or otherwise). I would be willing to make major additions to these tables.

What are the conditions to determine whether such a case would be considered infringing?

Last question:
Extensive study and training notwithstanding, these conditions must be written down somewhere. Is there a book you can recommend where I could learn more about the subject. (I'm a poor college student and there's no way I can afford to hire a lawyer.)

It is impossible for me to say what is and what isn't copyrighted without seeing what it is you're referring to. But if it's anything like the Periodic Table for the Elements, there shouldn't be a problem with you using the same information and creating your own table. After all, what is contained there is scientific fact and I don't think it would be considered a "compilation" as is understood in copyright law (won't elaborate here although you can search.) You should not copy the actual chart as it appears to the eye - the information is what I'm talking about. What do you think might be "infringing" about this chart.

There is plenty of free information about copyright - see the uspto.org which is where copyrights are filed. It can get you started. Application of the laws and rules is the hard part.

Thank you for your reply thelawprofessor.

I would like to broaden my question and give you some examples (only small portions). If you could briefly comment on each case so that I can know what is legal. In particular, how would I need to change each case to make it a non-infringing case: adding significantly? different design? using only original source material?

* The chart I was talking about (this is a replication made by a student):
View attachment 361

* Information found in a diagnostic manual "5-minute consult"
View attachment 363

* A table in a textbook:
View attachment 362

* a conceptual graphic:
View attachment 364

* A photo of pathological condition:
View attachment 365

jack

Status