Civil Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

amking86

My fiance and I have been together for almost 5 years now. With the recent approval of the civil union act being passed in the state of illinois we have been thinking about a civil union. We have been thinking about marriage for some time now, however I am in college and receive financial aid and if we were to get married, I would lose my aid. So my question is this, if we were to get a civil union, would that screw up my financial aid or would it not affect it since the federal government doesn't recognize civil unions?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you a same-sex couple? If not, you won't be getting a civil union.
Either way, your significant other's income would have to be reported. The government does not have to condone the nature of the relationship when determining your financial need.

OP is in Illinois where the Civil Union Act just became law. In Illinois, the act covers homosexual and heterosexual couples, so OP may enter into a civil union.

As to the FAFSA, the federal government doesn't recognize civil unions, so you wouldn't report your partner's income as that of a spouse. However, I believe that ISAC will probably have a form for couples in civil unions, so check with ISAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back