Ask a Legal Question

Thanks

Will a phrase in a poem be protected if the poem is copyrighted?

Jurisdiction / State: Florida

I saw in an earlier post about trying to protect a slogan, that according to a case called Cook v. Robbins, a short expresion could be copyrightable if it was "embodied in an original idea and occurred in the context of a larger copyrightable work." Do you think that would apply if the short phrase (slogan) was a line in a copyrighted poem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lillyann007 View Post
    I saw in an earlier post about trying to protect a slogan, that according to a case called Cook v. Robbins, a short expresion could be copyrightable if it was "embodied in an original idea and occurred in the context of a larger copyrightable work." Do you think that would apply if the short phrase (slogan) was a line in a copyrighted poem?
    Maybe and probably not. A very short phrase is usually not a "work of authorship." For example, how could someone copyright the words "My love is like a red, red rose." Famous words they are but anyone can and should be free to say and express this sentence. If we're talking about several sentences that is a different story. Suffice it to say that there is an indeterminate line of demarcation when something becomes a work capable of being protected. Use a sliding scale - the more words you use, the closer it becomes to being a "work" that is unique.
    Forum posts are not legal advice, are for educational purposes only & are not substitutes for proper consultation with legal counsel.

Need a lawyer? Use TheLaw.com's FREE Case Review now!