Ask a Legal Question

Thanks

Is it illegal for me to allow my brother to use my MAILING ADDRESS?

Jurisdiction / State: California

A year and a half ago, my brother asked me if he could have his unemployment check sent to my home address since he was going to be moving within our city but wasn't exactly sure where at the time, so I agreed.

It's now a year and a half later, and he has recently begun receiving mail from out-of-state authorities for back child support owed in another state from when his son was a minor. Total amount owed in arrears is $57,000+. I asked my brother if he was going to have his address changed and he said "no" because he owes the IRS along with the back child support.

My question is: Is it illegal for me to allow him to continue using my address knowing that he is doing this to avoid his responsibilities?

2. Moderator Samaritan & Scholar

Thanks
    Easiest fix:

Start forwarding his mail. If you still don't have an address, simply return the mail to the sender.

Not that I'm a huge fan of assisting deadbeats (that's your brother, not you!), but that gets it off your doorstep at least.

Thanks
    While I appreciate your fix to the situation, my question was in regards to the legality of the situation. I know my options with respect to putting a stop to this, but I am asking for legal insight. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Proserpina View Post
    Easiest fix:

Start forwarding his mail. If you still don't have an address, simply return the mail to the sender.

Not that I'm a huge fan of assisting deadbeats (that's your brother, not you!), but that gets it off your doorstep at least.

Registered User Samaritan & Scholar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2trusting View Post
    My question is: Is it illegal for me to allow him to continue using my address knowing that he is doing this to avoid his responsibilities?
    No it is not illegal.
    However, if you do not want to receive his mail you can return it to the sender or put in a forward with the Post Office so they will divert the mail to his new address. He may think that he is hiding by using your address but there are many other ways to locate him if anyone wanted to. He isn't avoiding anything by using your address.

Registered User Distinguished Colleague

Thanks
    You wont get in any troubel but the hassel has to be anoying.

Super Moderator Samaritan & Scholar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,486 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Allowing your brother to use your address to receive his unemployment checks could cause you some grief, if not legal difficulties.

It appears your brother may have committed some minor offense by lying to the unemployment check agency.

By law, those folks are supposed to be provided with your correct address. Of course, we know your address wasn't his correct address.

He used your address as a ruse to avoid service of legal documents. Could you get into trouble, maybe. The most likely scenario is that one day a team of burly, aggressive, armed men and women will pay you a visit. They'll probably be looking to arrest your brother on some IRS issue(s)!!!!

A process server or two might also visit seeking to serve your brother in an attempt to enforce a judgment on his child support arrearage.

If that's okay with you, it's okay with me. Good luck.