What can be done about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheknurpulse

My husband and I have a neighbor who is going around the neighborhood and slandering us and calling Child Protective Services on us.
She took our children to a camp she runs a few weeks ago. My husband tried to get a hold of the children which she said was allowed. He was not able to get a hold of them so he called the womans husband. He told the husband if he didn't hear from the children that he was going to call the state police and find out what was going on. That was all.
Well, she proceeded to bad mouth my husband in front of the children while they were at camp. My youngest started to cry and my oldest butted heads with her. She decided to send the children home that weekend, but in the mean time continued to belittle my husband in front of them. She didn't sen their suitcase home with them, she brought it home when she returned the following weekend. She proceeded to take some clothing out that she had purchased for my oldest as a gift. We informed her we would file theft charges if she didn't return them. She did return them.
Now our neighbor has called DCS on us. Has gone to the neighbors and slandered us. And her husband has told a neighbor that we are friends with that she's only just begun. He has said he can't or won't stop her. This is getting out of hand and I need to know what can be done.:mad:

Ignore her.
Avoid all contact with her.
Get on living your lives.

Cps will (if not already) clear you, soon the rest of your neighbors will realize how crazy she is. Theres not much you can do from a legal standpoint at this point. Do as army said and ignore her as hard as that would be to do. Good luck.

It's kind of hard to get on with our lives when with all of her slander we are being evicted because of it. And my husband is trying to establish a computer repair business in this town and she's going around telling people that he puts virus' in people's computers etc. How can you ignore something like that and not want to do something about it?

How are you being evicted? What reason did the landlord give? I understand wanting to do something when someone is bad mouthing you. Good luck with your husbands business and hopefully his work will speak for itself.

This person has gone to my landlord and complained my husband is making threats and my landlord said she doesn't want that. SO, she is evicting us because of that. And we do not want to sit around waiting to see if her slander ruins his chance at his company.

This person has gone to my landlord and complained my husband is making threats and my landlord said she doesn't want that. SO, she is evicting us because of that. And we do not want to sit around waiting to see if her slander ruins his chance at his company.

Talk to a lawyer. Spend $1,500 to hear these words,"Ignore her!" Or, "There's nothing you can do, yet!"

You won't be evicted for such a silly reason. Keep paying your rent on time and abide by the terms of your lease.
Don't let yourself get all wound up over her silly behavior. The best you can do is ignore her and don't give her the benefit of seeing that she is frustrating you.

You don't understand, my landlord gave me an eviction notice. She said it was because of the "threats". That she couldn't have it.

Yet? What has to happen for her to stop. We have been told by another neighbor that her husband says it won't stop. That once she gets it into her head to go after someone she won't stop. She's like a tornado he said. Can I do a cease and desist letter?

A C&D isn't going to accomplish anything.

If your landlord goes through the legal eviction process, you need to find somewhere else to live.

Other than that, I don't see anything that actually justifies a defamation suit. (Those things can run into the tens of thousands of dollars to litigate - and yes, you'd have to pay upfront).

There has to be something that can be done. She can ruin someone's life. Maybe not mine, but who's to say she won't try this on someone else.

Her gossip about you is unfortunate and I am sure very frustrating but as of now there is nothing you can do. You should'nt have to move but move, ignore her and it will all go away and like I said before your other neighbors will hopefully see right through her lies. again good luck.

Now she's approaching my two girls. She is accusing my oldest of stealing two bras or some silly thing like that. My daughter was at a neighbors and she came down yelling at her to return them. I went and told her to stay away from her and she flat out told me she could do anything she wants. This has got to stop and there has to be away to stop her and not just ignoring her. Because now she is approaching my children.

You don't understand, my landlord gave me an eviction notice. She said it was because of the "threats". That she couldn't have it.

I do understand- if you appear in court when required and explain the situation the landlord will probably be denied the eviction unless there is a better reason. If you have not violated your lease and are current on your rent then you are likely safe.
I am guessing that what you got was a letter from the landlord asking you to move. It means nothing. Unless you are ordered out by a judge you don't have to go anywhere. If you receive a notice to appear in court then make sure you show up- ignore everything else.

Last edited:
This has got to stop and there has to be away to stop her and not just ignoring her. Because now she is approaching my children.

You can attempt to get a restraining order if you like. It usually requires more of a threat to be made, but no telling what a judge may approve. If you get the order your neighbor will learn to behave, or at least leave you alone, or else she will have frequent contact with police.
If you can reasonably explain a safety concern to yourself or your family due to her behavior then you may get the order.

You need to stop responding to her though. The more you acknowledge her behavior the more you fuel the fire.

I know, but sometimes that's hard. Especially when it come to my children. The next time she makes any contact with them, I don't care if she just says hello. The police will be called and a restraining order taken out.

If you think that you're going to get a restraining order based upon a "hello", you're in for a nasty shock.

OP, I'm sorry - but you've GOT to be realistic here.

You have a choice in this matter. Everyone just ignore this person, even if she is yelling. I am dealing with a neighbor from hell as well. I choose to ignore him and his wife. Honestly the last time he was yelling at me it was for mowing 6" into his yard for about 3 feet. I kept mowing as he was yelling and I was laughing on the inside. You see others are dealing with the same issue..... The advice you have gotten is solid advice... ignore her and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back