Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Please help... 5th degree misdemeanor in Iowa, NO experience with the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaprobs

I have no experience with the law whatsoever, have no record (not even a speeding ticket). I am completely shocked and confused by what happened today... please help? Any suggestions would be genuinely appreciated.

This afternoon I was shopping and tried on some low-cost (~$30) earrings in the dressing room. Afterwards I couldn't figure out where I put them, but went through my bag and didn't see them so assumed I must have dropped them somewhere in the store. Honestly, I didn't think much of it at the time. Later I regretted this, because I am being accused of shoplifting in Iowa, which is a 5th degree misdemeanor. The earrings were in my jacket pocket (I don't even remember wearing my jacket, but I *must* have at some point?). Regardless, I'm scared out of my mind and don't know who will even believe me.

I am applying for a court-appointed attorney tomorrow morning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a 30 year old professional about to apply for licensure in psychology, and am worried that having this on my record will be a black mark professionally. Worse, I'm moving out of state in 19 days. My court date is next week. What are my options?? What should I ask my lawyer, if I can even get one in time?

Relax. Not too much will happen. You get one bite at the apple.

Okay, plead not guilty, ask for a lawyer, and speak only to that lawyer.

This will eventually get bargained down to community service, some fines ($300-600) that you can make payment arrangements to pay off, probation, stay outta trouble, take a couple classes, and presto; this never even happened.

Relax, shut up, get a lawyer, wait for your deal.

Thank you, army judge. I feel somewhat more hopeful that maybe things will work out somehow, but I am still worried about the "moving out of state" piece. Does community service have to be done in the state where the charge occurred? What about classes?

Also, does this mean I eventually have to plead guilty? This really upsets me since I had no intent, but I don't even know if this matters in a legal sense (even though of course it matters to me). I don't want to plead guilty to something I didn't intend to do... but I guess legally speaking it might not matter...

Sorry for all the questions... I know to you this must seem so incidental, but as someone who has always been so careful about laws I am really upset about it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back