College and Religion Chapel requirement credit for graduate

Status
Not open for further replies.

salima

I'm a foreigner studying in South Korea. I'm studying an undergraduate program in a well-known University. One of the REQUIREMENTS to graduate is to COMPLETE four semesters' CHAPEL LESSONS. I didn't want to sue them but I think there's any alternative option.

I would like to emphasize that chapel lessons are conducted in Korean and I'm not fluent in that language. I've tried for two semesters to get a solution for that. I expressed my own rights as an Atheist person. That attending to Chapel is a waste of time and knowledge. Instead of going to Chapel I could have extra Korean lessons. However, their solution was:

-Attend to Chapel 5 times (conducted in Korean) + 3 Global worship on Sunday (conducted in English-Korean) + Commentary of a religious article.
Today I got an email from Chapel office "You haven't pass Chapel". I didn't complete the 8 Chapels due the announcements of Chapel are in Korean in some website and I can't get the information. I emailed them for a solution and they said I have to do it again.

In my defense I'd like to clarify that during the worship I've been push to pray in loud voice towards to those that were pushed to attend the worship (I'm not the only one having that problem. Those who were in the same circumstances as me were pushed by the professors in order to pass the course!). Also, the worship was on Sundays and that's non-scholar day. The article response was to write about what I've learned through the Christianity moral and I must said that I felt a bit insulted at reading the article.

I'd like to add another thing. The access of information in the Campus and websites are not adequate for a University in which has graduate students (full course conducted in English), undergraduate students which the program is full conducted in English (my case) and exchange students.

I'd like to know what I can do. As for as now, the Article 18 of the Human Rights talks about the FREEDOM OF RELIGIOUS: Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

South Korean Constitution article 11 talks about EQUALITY11조에서 모든 국민은 법 앞에 평등하다는 것,
Article 11, every citizen is fair(?) under law.

11조에 누구든지 성별, 종교, 사회적 신분에 의하여 차별 받지 않는다는 것과 신체의 자유, 사회적 경제적 자유, 정치적 자유, 정신적 자유를 보장하고 있다
Article 11, everyone is treated fairly regardless of gender, religion and social status
It also guarantees physical, socially-economic, political and mental freedom.

Thanks in advance,

Salima.

You can't be serious.

You're obviously attending a religious sponsored university.

Go ahead, sue them, you'll lose!!!

Besides, you're in South Korea.

You're obviously not Korean, either.

Most countries aren't as stupid, or as fair, as the USA.

Rights in Korea are generally for Korean nationals.

We don't do Korean law here. This is a US based site.

But why did you choose a religious based university if the mere presence of religion offends you so much? Surely they didn't think they were going to waive their requirements just for you, did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back