Former employer claiming I have a criminal background to companies I apply to

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8trone

I joined a start up in a small highly technical industry. I was with the company for a very short time. I found a number of questionable things at the company and resigned a few months after joining. Almost within an hour I started receiving threatening emails from the owner. I notified the police about the threats and was told they would not get involved.

I had started to look for a new position within the industry and after speaking with another company was informed that the owner of the startup was calling around and telling competitors that I would be looking for a job. They should know that I was a convicted sex offender and was fired for it. Apparently this has been said to a number of people at different companies.

I am not a sex offender and I have never been accused or convicted of any sort of criminal activity.

The problem I face is I cannot afford an attorney. I've spoken with many attorneys and no one will touch this case on contingent. This has been extremely devastating to me both financially and emotionally. I can't get a restraining order as no specific threat of physical violence was made. I am now filing for bankruptcy and about to be evicted from my home because I can't find work.

Can anyone suggest something I can do?

Even if you were a millionaire, you'd have to prove that Mr. XXXX is telling people those things.

If you can't prove it, there is no remedy in law for you.

Will Mrs. YYYY swear in open court that Mr. XXXX said those things to her? You'll also need a couple others, just to be safe.

If not, forget it.

If so, you could file pro se.

The manager I interviewed with at the other company said he would testify. He was the one who told me it was being said.

The manager I interviewed with at the other company said he would testify. He was the one who told me it was being said.

Well, that is a start.
Now you just need to hire a lawyer and start a lawsuit.
You'll also have to prove up your damages.
Don't be surprised IF your eager witness suddenly suffers from memory loss when he is subpoenaed to testify.

Your state, Colorado, allows the defendant (the guy or company you're trying to sue) to use "any prior bad acts or deeds" as a way to mitigate their damages.

So, if you haven't been SQUEAKY clean, be careful when treading down this path.

It can be a very slippery slope.

If you've ever been arrested or convicted of anything, it will come out.

They'll also explore your sex life and activities.

Your entire life will be on trial and it had better be as pure as Ivory Soap, 99 & 44/100 percent pure!!!!

These sites can be helpful in doing your research to prepare your case:

http://www.lawinfo.com/attorney/defamation-of-character/colorado/

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/defamation-lawsuit.html

http://www.defamationlawfirms.com/regional.cfm/state/co/colorado.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back