Back out of a car deal because of false odometer statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remorse

I bought a used car from a family run used car dealership. $10.8k + tax and fees, 60,000 miles, manufacturer's warranty expired. We agreed on a 30 day, 1000 miles 50/50 warranty for engine and transmission. I paid cash. I declined the 3 day back-out-of-the-deal for a fee (I know, I shouldn't have).

The next day I attempt to drive the car to my home, 350 miles away. The car starts to make funny noises after 200 miles and I pull over. Towed to a local shop which could not diagnose the cause of the defect without pulling off the oil pan for $600. The car dealer decides to tow the car 200 miles back to a shop he is affiliated with to be in better control and to save money. I get the verbal agreement from the dealer that he would fix the car for me. Diagnosis: engine failure - need new engine - app $4,000+. Now the dealer hands me off to negotiate with his father, who "makes decisions of this magnitude". Father does not honor son's verbal agreement to fix it for me, I am stuck with the 50/50 warranty, so at least $2,000 for me. They play hardball.

Now, I notice, looking at the bill of sales that there is a discrepancy on the odometer reading. The last reported odometer reading on the car fax when the car was serviced by a previous dealership is higher than the reported odometer reading on my bill of sales by app 300 miles. I will probably be able to verify the odometer reading with the service records of that previous dealership.

Can I back out of the deal, because of this incorrect odometer report on the bill of sales?

Last edited:
The odometer reading isn't going to help you with this.
The agreement that you have in writing is what can be enforced.

300 miles not a big deal they drove it for awhile 50/50 is terible for you cuz its his shop he pays nothing and you pay your part which is his acv(actual cash value) they are mud suckers thats why do business that way ...plobly pretty common for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back