Company telling me I am not who I say I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptntcraw

Hello,

I have had an account open with an online company NCsoft for two years now. They recently sent me a message telling me that I am not the original owner of my accont and that the account has been closed due to that fact. My account has been under the same name and address details since it was originally created. To prove my identity to them I send in a real life picture of my ID/drivers license and showed them a picture of one my utility bills with the same name and address that is registered on the account. They are telling me that I am NOT the original owner after showing them all this information proving my identity to them. How can that be legal? I have done no violation of the terms of service and contact.

"After reviewing the logs, I found that control of this account was transferred from the original creator to a new user. This activity is prohibited by the User Agreement and Rules of Conduct. Due to the severity of this violation, this account has been permanently closed.

User Agreement: Found on NCsoft website
Rules of Conduct: Found on NCsoft website

Sincerely,

GM Annai"

They refuse to show me any evidence and pretty much told me I am lieing about my identity even after proving myself to them.

Wow, they are heavy handed, aren't they?

It is their website.

I guess they don't want to serve you any longer.

To the OP - Did you, in fact, buy this account from someone else? The gaming industry is RIFE with fraud. The moment they sniff it, you're in trouble.

As an FYI, I had issues with Blizzard. Someone must have gotten a hold of an old credit card number that expired. For reasons unexplained, Blizzard was able to process the card twice for small amounts of money. I realized a product of theirs I purchased was in a retail store, not direct, and discovered the fraud. They credited me back all of the charges and were very generous in explaining to me all the issues they encounter and reasons why so many online companies specifically prohibit transfers of accounts (especially rights to the online portion.)

The account is truly my own account as I said nothing on the account has EVER been changed my name and address have remained the same the two years I have played. The problem I see here is they say they have no official way to verify ownership of an account, so that being said might as well ban everyone! Who knows if they are the owners!

I sent in my ID and bills and other things with my name and address on it if that doesn't verify that I am the person who is written on that account then what do they want me to do? Go visit them in person? Ridiculous, what do they think I went in someones house stole his ID his drivers license and a random utility bill from him with a serial code from a game?

I sent in my ID and bills and other things with my name and address on it if that doesn't verify that I am the person who is written on that account then what do they want me to do? Go visit them in person? Ridiculous, what do they think I went in someones house stole his ID his drivers license and a random utility bill from him with a serial code from a game?
Perhaps your wife may have paid for the game with her credit card? Perhaps you are stuck in outsourcing?

Here's an idea and I don't recommend it unless you're telling us the whole truth, which I'll assume you are. Here is information for NCSoft legal counsel - apparently he's the general counsel so you might have the right guy for everything. I might send this person a short, polite letter letting him know that he's the person of last resort at NCSoft before you speak to your credit card company demanding a refund and considering other action given the amount of time and effort you've expended. I'd highlight at the beginning of the letter the fact that you've provided full proof of purchase, personal ID and a utility bill which has been accepted and discarded. Forward some correspondence that indicates what you're saying is true and that you're really one of the aggrieved. Don't rip the company too hard or go on a rant. Make your point quickly and move on to the point of the matter with the proof. Perhaps this will get you your remedy. I think you did a very good job above.

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/legal/dmca-policy.html

Best of luck. It's a practical first step.

Yes, I already sent in everything my ID my credit card with my name on it and I mean real life pictures. I sent in all my wifes information too ID and credit card with her name on it and still nothing.

I believe ncsoft only reviews the original information used to close the account. Any new evidence and feed back I supply them with they do not care and the account is not open for review. This is what I think based off of what they said to me in the support.

Hello,

After reviewing the game logs, I found that control of this account was transferred from the original creator to a new user. This activity is prohibited by the User Agreement and Rules of Conduct. Due to the severity of this violation, this account has been permanently closed.

Sincerely,

GM Annai
Game Surveillance Unit

Hello,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I have reviewed the information used to make the account closure decision and am able to corroborate the findings as warranted.

As such, the decision to terminate the account is final. This decision has been thoroughly reviewed by our team, and we maintain absolute confidence in our conclusion. The account will remain permanently closed and is not eligible for reactivation under any circumstances.

At this time I must also inform you that any further inquiries regarding this account may be closed without a response.

Sincerely,

GM Capori
Game Surveillance Unit

Hello,

As previously indicated, this account will remain closed. All reviews have been made. Further inquiries about this account may be set to Closed without response.

Regards,

GM Annai
Game Surveillance Unit

Its like they completely ignore all new information that they are given and stick with what they used to come up with the decision only. Obviously, if they do that then there is NO WAY for anyone to prove their innocence...

That link you gave me and the people who work under that email are in a completely differen't department. They basically stop and investigate people who run private servers of the game. They are pretty serious too ive seen videos of them getting the police to barge into this guys house and arrest him because he was running a Lineage 2 server.

Last edited:
The link I sent you to includes the general counsel - the guy in charge. I've been in a situation like this before but if you know how to write a letter, it can result in a single email that takes care of business.

But before you do this and I discuss it, what is in the original information that is different than your information? Is it in your wife's name? If so, why not have her write the letter or contact the company? What am I missing here? What are they seeing that is so different and making your information insufficient to remedy the situation?

This game must be addictive or pretty darned good to get you all riled up, OP.

Why is this so important to you?

Heck, if they won't take your money, somebody else will.

These games are practically religion in some areas and they are not completely interchangeable since "everybody" in the gang is one or the other. But moreso than just having a character in the game, it's also much about online characters becoming more powerful over time due to a gamer's experience via the defeat of other characters. If you lose your character who is a "20th level Wizard", you've lost several months worth of game play just to get there.

I see, Professor.

I watched a documentary the other evening on the addictive power of such games.

I guess you gotta pay to play.

Your not missing anything at all. My details have been the same since the account was created for two years. I showed them my wifes drivers license and credit cards just incase that was the problem but they don't care even after I showed them everything. They just claim that I am not the same person who opened the account.

Your not missing anything at all. My details have been the same since the account was created for two years. I showed them my wifes drivers license and credit cards just incase that was the problem but they don't care even after I showed them everything. They just claim that I am not the same person who opened the account.
As I asked, why didn't your wife call directly?

Regardless, if it was me I'd send a short letter to the legal department, copy it with a fax or some certified method, e.g. return receipt requested. That will get your letter read and taken more seriously. But remember that the company fears lost future sales more than they do threats of taking them to court. You might do best with a short, non-rant explaining how frustrated you are. Review site slike CNET, Gamespot and others have some clout and may be keen on publishing interesting story like this one. At that point this company might think again to make sure you've been helped... best of luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back