Revocable or Irrevocable LIVING TRUST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boblink

Hi, an Estate Planning attorney put together several documents for me including a Living Trust, unfortunately he did not explain anything and I have not seen or spoken to him after he collected his fees.
I thought that this was an Irrevocable Living Trust but after reading it and doing a little research, I believe that it is a revocable Living Trust being that I am the Trustee
and some of the wording that I found in the document (see below) and would appreciate if some one can advise me if this is a Revocable or Irrevocable Lining Trust?
Thank you for your help,
Bob
=========================================================
THE my name LIVING TRUST
THIS AGREEMENT is made the xx day of xx month, xxyear, by and between my name, as Settlor, and my name and all successors in trust, as Trustees (individually, "Trustee" and collectively, "Trustees"

D. Withdrawal and Application of Trust Assets.
1. The Settlor may, during his lifetime, withdraw from this Trust any part or all of the property and/or assets then contained in this Trust, including but not limited to accumulated income, upon such Settlor giving direction therefor to any Trustee, which direction may be written or oral.
2. The Settlor retains the right to make gifts from this trust by directing the Trustees to transfer the property which is the subject of the gift directly to the donee instead of the more cumbersome practice of the Trustees transferring the subject property to the Settlor and then the Settlor transferring the property to the donee.
E. Amendment and Revocation. From time to time, and at any time, by a duly executed,
witnessed and acknowledged written instrument delivered to the then serving Trustee:
1. The Settlor, while alive, may modify or amend this Trust in any manner provided that the duties and/or liabilities of the Trustees shall not be increased, nor any compensation of the Trustees be decreased, without the written consent of the Trustee(s) so affected.
2. The Settlor, while alive, may revoke this Trust in whole or in part, in which latter event, any and all Trust properties (including but not limited to any property received from any other person or entity, whether by inter vivos or testamentary disposition) shall revert to the Settlor, if such Settlor is then alive as the Settlor's own property free of trust. All of the Settlor's reserved powers under this instrument, including but not limited to the powers of modification, amendment and revocation, are personal to the Settlor and shall not accrue to any person or to any guardian appointed for the Settlor nor shall they extend to the Settlor's estate or the Personal Representative of the Settlor's estate or to any beneficiary specified in this instrument; and
3. The Settlor may, while alive, for any reason or for no reason, replace any then serving trustee, successor trustee designated herein, and add to or delete from the number of trustees required to serve. ,
F. Control Over Trustees. During the Settlor's lifetime, by a written direction delivered to
the Trustees, the Settlor may prohibit, for any specified period of time, the Trustees' exercise, without the Settlor's prior approval, of the powers granted to the Trustees. During such specified periods of time, the Trustees' responsibilities with regard to such powers shall be limited to the making of timely recommendations which may be either approved or disapproved by the Settlor. At all times during the Settlor's lifetime, the Settlor reserves the right to give to the Trustees specific instructions as to the exercise or non-exercise of any one or more of the powers granted to them or any of them, which instructions the Trustees agree to carry out; the Trustees shall be exonerated from liability when acting upon such instructions. All persons not having actual knowledge to the contrary may assume, in dealing with the Trustees, that the Settlor has taken no action under Paragraph F of this Article IV.

old thread - answering for reference/google purposes.

Sounds like it "might" be revocable. You need to contact the attorney for further advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back