Car accident 5 months ago, passanger's family asking for medical expenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwk2011

the accident happened on nov. 28th in a traffic. i hit a car infront of me and both cars experienced little damages such as paint damage but no physical bumper dents. (just paint coming off). after 5 months later, the passanger's parent called me saying that their daughter experienced bruising from the seat belt and had a mono at the time. so by being in a car accident and getting bruised, she had to get medical treatments and now wants me to pay the medical bills.
i told him to send me all the medical paper work they had to do with dates on, but can he really get money from me from the accident that happened 5 months ago and never contacted me?

thanks!

the accident happened on nov. 28th in a traffic. i hit a car infront of me and both cars experienced little damages such as paint damage but no physical bumper dents. (just paint coming off). after 5 months later, the passanger's parent called me saying that their daughter experienced bruising from the seat belt and had a mono at the time. so by being in a car accident and getting bruised, she had to get medical treatments and now wants me to pay the medical bills.
i told him to send me all the medical paper work they had to do with dates on, but can he really get money from me from the accident that happened 5 months ago and never contacted me?

thanks!

He can get money from you IF you give it to him.

He can also sue you.

I don't think you're under any legal obligation to pay.

You're right to ask for proof of her injuries.

I wouldn't agree to pay anything.

I'd turn everything over to my automobile insurer or tell him to sue me.

Whatever you do, don't agree to do anything, sign anything, or admit to anything!

If your insurance was notified of the incident when it occurred then let them handle his. Likewise, the other driver can use their own insurance coverage.
If insurance was not involved then dont agree to anything. If they ever send you medical records then speak with a local attorney if you need to, but until then don't sweat it.

Did you have insurance?

Did you have insurance? They should take care of this for you. Call them up, have the other family contact your insurance company.

If there are injuries, and you are at fault, there is a possibility the other family may get a settlement, but again, you shouldn't have to pay that if you had insurance. Send them to your adjuster and let them handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back