Breach of Contract by auto dealership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a So Cal Land Rover dealership, I negotiated with management on the sale of a used Land Rover. We came to an agreement on price and over the next 4 hours I sat in finance and signed on the dotted line. I even bought GAP coverage and an interior/exterior protection package. The dealership agreed to touch up some paint damage and scratches and detail the car completely, so I said I would fly back down the next week to pick up the car. I left the dealership thinking I was the owner of this car, however the next day (24 hours later) I got a call from the salesman saying that while I was with finance someone else came in and bought the car. I kid you not.
The finance gal faxed me 3 forms to return to them: 1) vehicle transfer and reassignment form 2)notice of transfer and release of liability and 3) Statement of Facts/Reg 256U.

I have no idea how this could happen, but am mainly concerned about being liable/responsible for anything regarding that car. I never took delivery, but did have insurance set up, as they needed proof of insurance when I bought it. I have not canceled the insurance yet because I need to make sure I am completely off title/registration and have no responsibility for this car.

Has anyone ever encountered this? Interesting...I noticed that 8 minutes after they called me to tell me the car was not mine, they listed it again on Craigslist!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much.

It sounds like they just want more money.
If it is still listed and on their lot you can enforce your contract.
If you really want the vehicle then you can likely still get it... but it will take a little effort.
If you want to just cut your losses then they are giving you a way out- heck, I'd make them pay me for the inconvenience and to offset the insurance I had to buy and my time in their office.

Thank you Mighty! Appreciate your feedback...it's been a real hassle also because I called my fleet company to turn my company car in the day I bought the car, thinking I had a new car to drive...now I have to rent something. Well...the that tab will be added to what I think they owe me for my time, travel expenses to So Cal and hassel! ARGH!!!

everyday !!! what happened ?? the three forms are standard when buying a vehicle.did they explain that to you and no are not liable for that vehicle until you take posession of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back