Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Missed Court Date For Possible DUI due to Hospitalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

pprstspco

Hello,
My name is Mary-Katherine. I am seeking legal advice for a missed court date for a supposed second DUI. I believe the case itself will probably get dropped once I can finally get in touch with the Harrison County Court system.
I was in Twelve Oaks facility voluntarily for my court date and I believe the attendants and therapists tried to send or fax proof to them. I did later as well and never received any response.
I am planning to get all of my papers together and go fax them again, or just bypass it and walk in with my papers.
The DUI charge was about my prescription medicine that was for therapeutic doses. I had taken one dose of the medicine for anxiety at work before lunch. Soon, they cut me because it was quite slow. Upon leaving, a US Post Truck stopped abruptly and we bumped each other. Police were called and upon seeing my prescription they took me into custody and I complied to a blood test.
I was not aware that the medicine Adavan was bad to take while driving. It didn't even say it on the label. Unfortunately I no longer have the bottle but I can get a letter from my Doctor explaining my anxiety. I was also on an anti-depressant Abilify that I was soon taken off of because it was causing Tardive Dyskinesia: i.e. twitching and shaking involuntarily.
I am wondering since I was not on any illegal drugs or anything unprescribed, what are my best choices?

Hello,
My name is Mary-Katherine. I am seeking legal advice for a missed court date for a supposed second DUI. I believe the case itself will probably get dropped once I can finally get in touch with the Harrison County Court system.
I was in Twelve Oaks facility voluntarily for my court date and I believe the attendants and therapists tried to send or fax proof to them. I did later as well and never received any response.
I am planning to get all of my papers together and go fax them again, or just bypass it and walk in with my papers.
The DUI charge was about my prescription medicine that was for therapeutic doses. I had taken one dose of the medicine for anxiety at work before lunch. Soon, they cut me because it was quite slow. Upon leaving, a US Post Truck stopped abruptly and we bumped each other. Police were called and upon seeing my prescription they took me into custody and I complied to a blood test.
I was not aware that the medicine Adavan was bad to take while driving. It didn't even say it on the label. Unfortunately I no longer have the bottle but I can get a letter from my Doctor explaining my anxiety. I was also on an anti-depressant Abilify that I was soon taken off of because it was causing Tardive Dyskinesia: i.e. twitching and shaking involuntarily.
I am wondering since I was not on any illegal drugs or anything unprescribed, what are my best choices?

You don't just fax papers and get court dates reset.

The court wouldn't respond to an unsolicited fax.

You need to do this through your lawyer.

If you have no lawyer, i suggest you speak with one tomorrow.

Why?

Because there is probably a warrant out for your arrest on a failure to appear charge,a s well as the DUI.

This is a very serious charge.

It won't just go away.

But, you can defend against it.

Your intuition is correct, even though procedurally you're off base.

If you go to court, without speaking with an attorney, at least speak with a bondsman.

That way he/she can arrange to help with your bail, so you won't be held overnight in the hoosegow.

You should plead not guilty (if arrested), ask for a lawyer (if you can't afford one), and speak ONLY to your lawyer about any of this.

You won't be allowed to just provide a note from a physician and walk away.

It doesn't work like that.

Please, see a bondsman or an attorney ASAP!!!!

Good luck.

You don't just fax papers and get court dates reset.

The court wouldn't respond to an unsolicited fax.

You need to do this through your lawyer.

If you have no lawyer, i suggest you speak with one tomorrow.

Why?

Because there is probably a warrant out for your arrest on a failure to appear charge,a s well as the DUI.

This is a very serious charge.

It won't just go away.

But, you can defend against it.

Your intuition is correct, even though procedurally you're off base.

If you go to court, without speaking with an attorney, at least speak with a bondsman.

That way he/she can arrange to help with your bail, so you won't be held overnight in the hoosegow.

You should plead not guilty (if arrested), ask for a lawyer (if you can't afford one), and speak ONLY to your lawyer about any of this.

You won't be allowed to just provide a note from a physician and walk away.

It doesn't work like that.

Please, see a bondsman or an attorney ASAP!!!!

Good luck.

I thank you for your advice. It is just what I would do if I weren't so down and out. I have a lot of health issues I have to deal with and I'm financially in dire straights.

I thank you for your advice. It is just what I would do if I weren't so down and out. I have a lot of health issues I have to deal with and I'm financially in dire straights.

Ignoring this won't make it go away.
They'll come and get you when you are least prepared and you don't expect it.
If you don't have the funds, the court will appoint a public defender to be your lawyer.
You won't be without a lawyer.
With a lawyer and your medical issues, you'll likely be released on your own recognizance, too.
Fix this, it won't go away!

Ignoring this won't make it go away.
They'll come and get you when you are least prepared and you don't expect it.
If you don't have the funds, the court will appoint a public defender to be your lawyer.
You won't be without a lawyer.
With a lawyer and your medical issues, you'll likely be released on your own recognizance, too.
Fix this, it won't go away!

I plan to return to the County court in question within the week after I have received some more documents from the facility I was in. I'm trying to do everything in my power to show that I was not taking my prescription irresponsibly. I am just not sure there is a lawyer in the area that I even think to afford. I thank you for your concern. Rest easy that I am not ignoring this; much the opposite. I'm actually working myself up into knots about it.

I plan to return to the County court in question within the week after I have received some more documents from the facility I was in. I'm trying to do everything in my power to show that I was not taking my prescription irresponsibly. I am just not sure there is a lawyer in the area that I even think to afford. I thank you for your concern. Rest easy that I am not ignoring this; much the opposite. I'm actually working myself up into knots about it.

I'm resting very comfortably, madam.
My liberty is not at risk.
Yours is.
You don't need to hire a lawyer if your funds are low.
The court will appoint one to represent you for free, thanks to the good taxpayers.
Anyway, good luck.
I hope your health improves and your legal issues get resolved to your satisfaction.

I'm sorry, but it is common knowledge AND part of the prescribing information that Ativan (lorazepam) can cause drowsiness and that care should be taken operating motor vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back