Question Regarding transfer of title (motorcycle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenfromla

Hello guys, first I want to say thanks for your time. I appreciate you reading this post. My situation is as follows, I purchase a motorcycle about 3 years ago under my Ex Wife's (at the time married of course) name due to my credit not being so great back then. I have been making the payments on time ever since, never made a late payment. The remaining balance is around $4000, I told my ex wife that I have the money and could pay off the balance as long as she promised to sign over the title to me once it arrives in the mail. She agreed but my only concern is that I pay the bike and then she refuses to sign over the title. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from this?

Thanks again.. :eek:

Yes, you can create a contract and ask her to sign the vehicle over to you.
It would state that you will pay off the balance and upon doing so, she will sign over the title to the vehicle upon receiving the lien free title.
Bear in mind, she could still try and screw you.
But, at least you'd have a contract where she agreed to do otherwise.
Then you'd have to sue her.

Or, you could ask her to sell you the cycle for the balance owed of $4,000.
At that point she would sign over the title to you, and you could pay off the lien.
Eventually, you would receive the title in your name.

The second choice is safer.
But, bear in mind NOTHING is cheat proof!

Yes, you can create a contract and ask her to sign the vehicle over to you.
It would state that you will pay off the balance and upon doing so, she will sign over the title to the vehicle upon receiving the lien free title.
Bear in mind, she could still try and screw you.
But, at least you'd have a contract where she agreed to do otherwise.
Then you'd have to sue her.

Or, you could ask her to sell you the cycle for the balance owed of $4,000.
At that point she would sign over the title to you, and you could pay off the lien.
Eventually, you would receive the title in your name.

The second choice is safer.
But, bear in mind NOTHING is cheat proof!
Thank you for your reply. I had a question, how could she sell it over to me if she doesn't have the title yet?

Thank you for your reply. I had a question, how could she sell it over to me if she doesn't have the title yet?

How do you trade a car if you still owe money?

A bill of sale.

A contract.

You agree to pay it off.

You buy the car and pay off the debt.

She assigns the title to you.

Check with your DMV for the process in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back