If I got rear-ended by a driver who claims that he was hit from behind, am I responsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppopiel

Hello. I got rear-ended while exiting the freeway in Los Angeles, CA by a driver who said he was hit from behind by another car that fled the scene. No police report was taken. I had a rental car from Budget and I took out Rental Liability Insurance (not the Loss Damage Waiver, though). The other driver's insurance, State Farm of California, refused to pay claiming their driver was negligence-free since he was hit from behind. I only have damage on my rear-end. The other car is damaged on both sides, though there is no proof the other car's rear-end damage happened the same day. Is the rental company right to make me pay?

The driver that hit you is still responsible even though he may have been hit from behind.
The theory here is that the driver that hit you was following too closely, at an unsafe distance that would allow him to avoid such a situation.
It is no surprise that the insurance company would deny the claim. If you have put in a claim with your insurance company then the two should work it out, but if not you can sue the driver of the other vehicle for the damages.

Always report any and all accidents to the local police agency.

Never try and work things out at the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back