Can I charge a customers credit card without their express permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent211

I have a client who signed a contract for $780 for website design. He paid $400 on his credit card and promised to send a check for the balance. While I do have emails from the client acknowledging he owes the money and the service was performed to his satisfaction, all subsequent emails and calls to him regarding collecting the balance get ignored. I do have a signed contract that says he agrees to pay the entire amount within 30 days, but does not specifically say we can charge his caredit card. Can I charge his credit card again to collect the balance?

without the contract stating that the payment can be taken off the clients credit card then no. The client could simply call the card company and say the charges were unauthorized and taken off card, then you could be in some legal trouble.Good luck.

You can charge the credit card, but he can kick it back on you stating this was not authorized.

You do need to get his ok to charge it this way when he kicks it back you can show the bank that he did ok the transaction.

Send him a bill that clearly indicates your intent to charge the remainder of the balance to the credit card on a date a couple of weeks from now. Phrase it in such a way that his failure to otherwise make payment arrangements will be considered as acceptance of the proposed credit card charge.
He can still dispute the charge if you make it- but at least then you might have a little something to justify the charge with if the credit card company tries to take it back. It is quite possible they could leave the charge alone and instruct him to take the matter up in court to get his money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back