Wrongful Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewell

I recently was suspended from work. I am an assistant manager at a retail store and I had been dating an employee for 6 months. It is frowned upon and you are required to let management know, but I did not do this right away. After about 3-4 months of dating the relationship turned very sour. He would constantly threaten me that he was going to go to management and say that I pursued him(which was untrue) and he would make sure I went down. There were many threats that came about during the last few months. Finally I couldn't take being forced to stay in a relationship anymore so I went to management myself. After he heard that I went to them, he did. HR was called in the next day along with the store manager and I was asked to come in to discuss the situation. Before they even asked me anything they had decided to suspend me pending investigation, yet he is still working. Is there anything I can do?

I recently was suspended from work. I am an assistant manager at a retail store and I had been dating an employee for 6 months. It is frowned upon and you are required to let management know, but I did not do this right away. After about 3-4 months of dating the relationship turned very sour. He would constantly threaten me that he was going to go to management and say that I pursued him(which was untrue) and he would make sure I went down. There were many threats that came about during the last few months. Finally I couldn't take being forced to stay in a relationship anymore so I went to management myself. After he heard that I went to them, he did. HR was called in the next day along with the store manager and I was asked to come in to discuss the situation. Before they even asked me anything they had decided to suspend me pending investigation, yet he is still working. Is there anything I can do?

Sorry, your situation illustrates why superiors should not date or fraternize with subordinates.

I suspect he'll follow through with his threats and claim that you used your SUPERVISORY POWER to force him into a sexual relationship with you.

You need to gather any proof (written documents, love letters, cards, emails, text messages, etc) that can help you prove the relationship was consensual and not coerced.

If you can't, I suspect you might not like where this is headed.

It is quite, quite legal for them to hold a supervisor or manager to a different standard than a rank and file employee. Nothing you have posted suggests a wrongful (illegal) suspension and if you are termed, that will not be wrongful either. You showed very poor judgement in getting involved in the relationship in the first place, and you showed even poorer judgement in letting him blackmail you into staying in the relationship. Those are not the kind of characteristics most employers want in their supervisory staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back