How do creditors find info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer1965

I am in a situation where creditors (2) are calling on a daily basis. Today they threatened to contact my employer. I have three questions: How, if I never listed my place of employment, could they locate my employer? 2nd, if a judgement (learned from another member's thread) is enacted against me, how much of my wages can be garnished? 3rd, the creditors will only work with me if I give them my checking account # so that they can set up an automatic bill-pay. I only work part time and my hours are steadily declining which means that what I can commit to this month, may not be available next month. I owe roughly 10,000 in credit card debt. I can afford $40.00 per month. Does that constitute a willingness to comply?

You do not have to give them your checkig account information and by law they have to accept whatever payment they get and apply that to your account.As longt as you are paying something then they cant do a thing about it. Also they cant keep calling your employer the law only allows them to call once to verify something like employment. You can call them and ask them to stop calling your work. If they dont stop that constitutes harassment and you would have the right to sue them. As for the wage garnishment it depends on your state. Some states its Illegal for them to do so some its not and with some they have to have your permission to set up wage garnishment. And they can only take about 10 percent out. But check with your state on that. Go to ask.com and type in detailed searches like The Fair Collections act and I think its USC laws. Also keep very detailed records on your phone calls ect from these places take notes on everything and if you can tape record them. If they can tape record you you can tape record them. You are required by law to let them know u are doing so and if they keep talking to you its like saying yes. They have to deny permission or hang up. Photo copy everythign at least twice and whatever you do dont throw anythign away in case you end up going to court. Thats where those notes will come in handy. But I do highly reccomend doing your reasearch on banking laws if you knwo your stuff it scares thema little bit. I know how you feel Us Bank screwed me over with my credit card and Wells Fargo drained all my savings due to thier fees and other charges. Plus with my checking account I had the funds to cover three different checks i wrote and they held those funds and they never released them for payment. So the places I wrote the checks to didnt get thier money and wells fargo ran each check through three or four times as a returned check and charged me the amount of the check plus the fees and to top that off I had to pay the collection agencies the places went through plus wells fargo and also a stop payment fee.
Anyways I hope this helps Good LUCK!!! :) :) :)

Oh yeah as for your question of how they get your employer Info they could have obtained it through the credit bearau or through your SSN , the banks or other various ways. And before they try to garnish your wages they have to send you something in writing saying they are going to do so. And they have no right to threaten to call your employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back