Government works, individual works, copyright: fair use and ability to charge fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crights

State: NC (but believe it could be any state, since government issue?)

I would like to know if I can use government released documents, organize them in a meaningful way, use Google apps/technology (e.g. Google Web Engine / Google Documents List Data API) to present them, and then charge access to the site/use of the application.

More specifically:
The State government has released a "package" of documents (say between 500 and 1000) in the form of an ISO file. The file is can be downloaded by anyone.

Many of the documents (PDF) were created by individuals and organizations - not by the State. Some are actual published articles; others are PowerPoint presentations that clearly show author/organization. There are many graphics, images, and photos, even cartoons with author attributes.

My (limited) understanding is that government released documents are in the public domain and the government cannot copyright works.

I don't want to infringe on anyone's copyright. I just want to make the documents more accessible, ordered and more easily navigated. Currently, I think some of the Google technologies could be leveraged toward my goal. That takes time and a fair amount of expertise.

If I do take the documents, organize them, make them easier to navigate and make them more accessible, then I would like to be able to charge a fee for the value-added service I am performing. Can I do this? Can I do this without getting "copyright infringement" attacked?

Last edited:
To better clarify my question...

To better clarify my question, I will cite three examples with some notes.

1) A Katrina Experience: Lessons Learned

This is found on the State government site as "Katrina Study.PDF" and an Internet search shows it at various locations (e.g. an .edu). Both locations show the article in full, which includes © 2006 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved (doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2006.08.021).

The article appears to have a "home" at The American Journal of Medicine.
There you can:
"Purchase this article for 30.00 USD (You must login/register to purchase this article)
Online access for 24 hours. The PDF version can be downloaded as your permanent record."

2) Chemical Emergencies at Home

This is found on the State government site as "Red Cross - Chemical Emergencies at Home.PDF" No mention of organization, author, or copyright is seen in the document. The idea that it might be from the "Red Cross" was from the file name. Doing an Internet search will find it on the RC site.

3) Planning and Exercising for Pandemic Preparedness

This is found on the State government site as "PandemicInfluenza[3].PDF" and shows on the first page author/presenter, organization, and a .edu affiliation. Doing an Internet search, the same file can be found at the .edu site.

I don't know how to interpret these and similar in regards to my initial post/question.

#1 is copyrighted, anyone can purchase a copy for $30, but it also seems that the government and at least one educational institution have "rights" to distribute it freely. In the case of the government, if they are distributing it freely does this "un-copyright" it?

#2 I don't know who has copyright, if anyone.

#3 Similar to #1, but it is freely available at he apparent source and there is no provision of copyright attached to the document itself.

In my naive mind, I am thinking – hey the government released these to the public. Therefore they are in the public domain. If they are in the public domain then I can use them how I would like to. If I put them up on a Google site with Google technology and my programming – perhaps some nifty search, navigation and related features to make them more accessible along with 1000+ other government released documents - then that is my right and I cannot be charged with any form of infringement, but I can charge for access to my site/technology because that is my work.

Am I wrong in these assumptions? Where am I wrong in these assumptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back