Do I have to give my phone number to the father of my children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andersonred

I changed my phone number and don't want to give my ex the new number, but someone claimed I have to because we have children together. He gets visitation, but his visitation rights are currently suspended for violation of terms in our divorce decree. Our decree states that I have to keep him informed of major medical concerns. Do I have to give him the new phone number?

Yes, the ex is entitled to have an address and phone number where the children are living. If you have a custody order it may be stipulated in that order as it is common language found in them.
It does not matter that his visitation rights are suspended. If you move the children or refuse to provide him with contact information then he can go back to the court and make you look like the bad guy. The phone number is given to him for visitation purposes (when they resume) and for emergencies.
If you give him the phone number and he misuses it to harass you then you can report that harassment to the police.

Do not disclose your private number to him.
Buy a cheap pay-as-you-go mobile phone.
Put a few hundred minutes on it.
Give him that number.
Don't give him your private number.
Forward your calls from the cheap mobile phone to your private number.
When he calls you, it'll ring on your private number, but "ex-trouble" won't be any the wiser.
You've complied, he's got a number.
Problem solved for $20-50!

Life is a breeze.

Making people happy and fixing broken shit, it's what I do!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back