Can an out of state speeding ticket almost 20 years ago catch up with me now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sashachamp

Hello All. This is my first time here. I was hoping someone could answer a question for me.

I am from, and have always lived in California. Way back in 1993 I was driving from NYC to Washington DC for the Clinton inauguration. I was with a friend, driving her brand new car and was pulled over in North Carolina for a speeding ticket. I don't remember how fast I was going, but I know it wasn't excessive. (And for the record, I have been driving for 25 years now, and that was the ONLY speeding ticket I've ever received.)

When I got home from DC I asked a close family friend, who was an LAPD detective, what I should do. He told me to ignore it unless I ever planned to visit North Carolina again, which I didn't. About 5 years later the guilt got to me, so I tried to clear it up but was unable to. I contacted authorities in both California and North Carolina and they couldn't find anything on record. I was told by another police officer to just "let it go" since they couldn't find any record of it.

Fast forward almost 20 years later, I am trying to renew my driver license (which I've obviously done several times since 1993). I was eligible to do it online, which I did, but I still haven't received my license. Now, over 3 months later I finally contacted the DMV and they told me there was a computer glitch at the time I renewed online, so they gave me another number to call. I called that number and they said they just needed to check to see if I ever got a ticket out of state before they would send me my new license.

I know they added more security measures to the new driver licenses, but what's the liklihood that ticket from 1993 would show up now?

It wouldn't be the ticket.
If anything, it is likely a failure to appear warrant.

Never ignore any ticket or legal matter.
But, in this case, if it were me, I'd play dumb.
I'd say I don't remember getting a ticket.

Less, is always more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back