frozen/burst pipe water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnlion667

this weekend a water line froze in the ceiling above my bedroom. It was due to a penetration on the exterior wall for a water spigot that wasn't properly insulated (landlord's fault). upon thawing water was pouring into the ceiling, down the walls and onto our bed. ended up with 1/2 inch of water across entire floor of apartment and the ceiling and walls are soaked in the bedroom.
the landlords plan to leave it to dry on it's own and repaint in the spring.:confused: I'm surprised the ceiling is still up with all of the water that is soaked into the insulation above the sheetrock. The smell of the mildew is atrocious and our foam mattress is already molding despite being shop-vaced and being propped up in the room w/ 2 dehumidifiers, a fan, and a heater for two days now.
My question is, do I have a legal right to have them replace the sheetrock and insulation? At what point is it deemed unlivable and who makes that decision?

thanks in advance

this weekend a water line froze in the ceiling above my bedroom. It was due to a penetration on the exterior wall for a water spigot that wasn't properly insulated (landlord's fault). upon thawing water was pouring into the ceiling, down the walls and onto our bed. ended up with 1/2 inch of water across entire floor of apartment and the ceiling and walls are soaked in the bedroom.
the landlords plan to leave it to dry on it's own and repaint in the spring.:confused: I'm surprised the ceiling is still up with all of the water that is soaked into the insulation above the sheetrock. The smell of the mildew is atrocious and our foam mattress is already molding despite being shop-vaced and being propped up in the room w/ 2 dehumidifiers, a fan, and a heater for two days now.
My question is, do I have a legal right to have them replace the sheetrock and insulation? At what point is it deemed unlivable and who makes that decision?

thanks in advance

You could contact your local (city or county) health department and the city building inspector.
There could be structural damage.
The unit may be deemed unfit for human habitation.
You could also speak with a few tenant's rights groups and see what they can do for you.

You might also be wise to speak with a couple local attorneys. The initial consult is normally free. They might offer some useful advice.

Bottom line, your landlord isn't going to do a damn thing without court or governmental intervention.

You are powerless (without the assistance of the government or the court) to make him do anything.

Try to seek the help of the authorities I've notified you about above!

Good luck!

AND give your landlord your own written notice of the existing problem and request immediate action to repair the water damage and replace your mattress and any other damaged personal property.
They likely won't respond to your request, but when the time comes later you can show that you gave proper notice and any claim you want to make will be supported by your documentation now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back