Harrassment, Libel, Defamation of Character and Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn

The state or country I am talking about is: Texas

I work for a non-profit corp. with a 9 member BOD. For a year I have had one member of the BOD make false statements to shareholders regarding my salary and that I am not qualified to manage here. I have even been told by this person that they question how I was hired and who I knew to get the job.

Furthermore, there have been numerous emails sent to other BOD members making false statements and accusations. This person even twists all of my messages around to meet an agenda, that I have a good idea of , but don't know for sure and can't take time to worry about right now.

I am spending a great deal of time defending myself and along with that, spending shareholders time and money to refute everything this person claims.

I have kept copies of EVERYTHING, but I want to make sure that I have something here before I move forward. Is this harrassment, defamation of character, slander and/or libel. What can I do? I have asked the rest of the BOD to put a stop to it and nothing. I realize that my employment is at-will and that I am not federally protected due to having only 6 employees, but isn't there something that can protect non-profit employees??

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated as this is affecting my persoanl life and my helath. I am constantly stressed and on edge and I think I have psoriasis in my scalp.

It is not prohibited harassment. Whether it is libel or slander depends upon what exactly he has said about you and what damages you have incurred as a result. This BOD member expressing his OPINION about you is not slander. If he's knowingly making false or negligent statements about you which has resulted in damages to you, then that's another matter.

The only way you're going to know is to take your documentation and show it to a qualified attorney.

I realize that my employment is at-will and that I am not federally protected due to having only 6 employees, but isn't there something that can protect non-profit employees?? Non-profit is merely an accounting/financial designation. There are no employment laws unique to non-profits. You have the same protections (or not) as any other employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back