No Insurance/expired tags-5 yrs ago (Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avigrad

Back in 2006, I was caught driving without insurance, and expired registration. I set the alarm to wake me up for the court date for my appearance, but it either never went off, or I slept through it (because subconsciously, I'll admit I was scared stupid), so I never made the court appearance.

At that point, I was so embarrassed, and passive, I did nothing about it. I got a letter saying they suspended my license and If I wanted it back to provide proof that I did have insurance and to renew my registration, and schedule an appearance at court.

I feel stupid for not doing something about it then, but I didn't. I just accepted the suspension as punishment, sold the car, changed my license over to a state ID, and left it at that.

Except now I'm in florida trying to get a drivers license. The florida DMV gave me a number to call to reach the court offices in Kentucky. I called them, and I was told over the phone that the judge had ruled a Mandatory Court Appearance for the charge of failure to appear to a court summons. The lady over the phone did tell me that a lawyer could represent me to get the case put on the docket.

I'm left wondering what would be the best course of action. Showing up myself, hiring a lawyer to represent me, asking a family member to represent me, or having someone unrelated that I trust to show up represent me. Would it even be allowed to have someone other than a lawyer or myself representing me?

And of course, I have no idea what sort of punishment I should be prepared to face, pleading guilty to both traffic charges, and failing to appear in court, and leaving it for five years.

Back in 2006, I was caught driving without insurance, and expired registration. I set the alarm to wake me up for the court date for my appearance, but it either never went off, or I slept through it (because subconsciously, I'll admit I was scared stupid), so I never made the court appearance.

At that point, I was so embarrassed, and passive, I did nothing about it. I got a letter saying they suspended my license and If I wanted it back to provide proof that I did have insurance and to renew my registration, and schedule an appearance at court.

I feel stupid for not doing something about it then, but I didn't. I just accepted the suspension as punishment, sold the car, changed my license over to a state ID, and left it at that.

Except now I'm in florida trying to get a drivers license. The florida DMV gave me a number to call to reach the court offices in Kentucky. I called them, and I was told over the phone that the judge had ruled a Mandatory Court Appearance for the charge of failure to appear to a court summons. The lady over the phone did tell me that a lawyer could represent me to get the case put on the docket.

I'm left wondering what would be the best course of action. Showing up myself, hiring a lawyer to represent me, asking a family member to represent me, or having someone unrelated that I trust to show up represent me. Would it even be allowed to have someone other than a lawyer or myself representing me?

And of course, I have no idea what sort of punishment I should be prepared to face, pleading guilty to both traffic charges, and failing to appear in court, and leaving it for five years.

The judge wants to lecture you.
If things are as you say, you will never be incarcerated for this.
But, expect to pay a BIG fine.
The best way out of this is hire a lawyer.
Get on the docket and plan to return to get lectured and bring lots of cash.
How much cash?
Your lawyer will tell you, but it won't be less than $1,000 to $1,500; plus another $2,500 for the lawyer.
If you're lucky, you might get a lawyer for $1,500.
Good luck!!!!

You can always choose to keep a state ID and stay the heck outta KY.

The judge wants to lecture you.
If things are as you say, you will never be incarcerated for this.
But, expect to pay a BIG fine.
The best way out of this is hire a lawyer.
Get on the docket and plan to return to get lectured and bring lots of cash.
How much cash?
Your lawyer will tell you, but it won't be less than $1,000 to $1,500; plus another $2,500 for the lawyer.
If you're lucky, you might get a lawyer for $1,500.
Good luck!!!!

You can always choose to keep a state ID and stay the heck outta KY.

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of cash. I have 1500, that's it.

So I definitely need to take care of this myself then. Would the fine be higher without a lawyer? What's the Max they could fine me for?

And about how long would it take me to get on the docket of a small county like Shelbyville, KY? Would it be same day, or would it take some time?

Got this from http://www.automotive.com/kentucky-auto-insurance-laws/index.html... If you fail to follow Kentucky's state insurance requirements, you will face suspension of your license and vehicle registration if you are stopped by a traffic officer. This officer will also demand a payment from $500-$1000 for driving uninsured, and may sentence you to 90 days of jail. Now as army said the judge is prob. just gonna give you a good old fashion lecture and fine the heck out of you. Good luck and better to just get it over with so you can get your license back and avoid another charge of driving without a license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back