Stop ex-wife from taking advantage of bankrupt father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsc1986

My boyfriend of 3 years went bankrupt last year, he owned a theatre that went out of business. He has joint custody of his 8yr old daughter and is court ordered to pay $200 in child support. His ex however, demands he pay $500 a month in child support , and he agrees- to get her off his case, even though he is scraping bottom broke. (I'm talking no extras, no cable, weeks without doing laundry etc...)
She's currently is an awarded educator/business owner and makes plenty to cover her expenses (including her 3 bedroom house that she makes my boyfriend pay taxes on, because "it's your daughters house, you don't want us to move, do you?")
She doesnt allow him more than 1-2 overnights with his daughter even though he wants and his schedule allows more. He currently lives in a one bedroom and has his room in the living room so his daughter can have the bedroom. He even puts aside extra money towards her college fund every month ($1 for every day she's in school) instead of putting it in his own savings account.
I am beyond furious at his ex for taking advantage of his wonderful good nature. His a fantastic father that would do anything for his daughter, but his ex-wife gouging his bank account to get more "blood out of the stone" is going too far. And he's too broken by the whole situtation to make his case to anyone. Is there anything I can do to stop her/help his situation? They are already in co-parenting counseling, which only helps emotional issues between them.

My boyfriend of 3 years went bankrupt last year, he owned a theatre that went out of business. He has joint custody of his 8yr old daughter and is court ordered to pay $200 in child support. His ex however, demands he pay $500 a month in child support , and he agrees- to get her off his case, even though he is scraping bottom broke. (I'm talking no extras, no cable, weeks without doing laundry etc...)
She's currently is an awarded educator/business owner and makes plenty to cover her expenses (including her 3 bedroom house that she makes my boyfriend pay taxes on, because "it's your daughters house, you don't want us to move, do you?")
She doesnt allow him more than 1-2 overnights with his daughter even though he wants and his schedule allows more. He currently lives in a one bedroom and has his room in the living room so his daughter can have the bedroom. He even puts aside extra money towards her college fund every month ($1 for every day she's in school) instead of putting it in his own savings account.
I am beyond furious at his ex for taking advantage of his wonderful good nature. His a fantastic father that would do anything for his daughter, but his ex-wife gouging his bank account to get more "blood out of the stone" is going too far. And he's too broken by the whole situtation to make his case to anyone. Is there anything I can do to stop her/help his situation? They are already in co-parenting counseling, which only helps emotional issues between them.

No, there is nothing you can do.
Well, there is, one thing, put up with it!
You have no standing.
He, on the other hand, does have standing.
You might try convincing him to seek legal redress.
He appears to have a solid argument for some sort of reduction, temporary at least.

He, on the other hand, appears resigned to his fate.
So, if you push too much, he may choose his child over you.
You picked this guy, with all that baggage.
He will change when he is ready.
That appears to be LATER, (if at all) rather than SOONER!

Wisconsin evidently uses a straight percentage of the NCP's income - so whatever his ex earns doesn't matter at all.

Your "boyfriend" needs to man up and either enforce visitation through the courts (if there is actually an order in place) or file for an enforceable visitation plan.

You on the other hand - and you're not going to like this - need to take about eleven steps back. It's not your legal matter. You have no standing to do a darned thing.

(And yes - I AM actually a stepparent. Before I get jumped on ;) )

Why are you blaming the ex for the fact that your boyfriend willingly sends her an extra $300/month? She may 'demand' but he's the one who gives his money away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back