online wills, 'Serve without bond' statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

reason111

First, let me thank you for your services. I'm addicted to your site. :)
My question/s.
I can't afford an attorney until spring but I need a will now so I'm going to use a free will for my state of NC.
There seems to be a standard clause in all these wills that I'm uneasy with.
"My Executor and alternate Executor shall serve without any bond, and I hereby waive the necessity of preparing or filing any inventory, accounting, appraisal, reporting, approvals or final appraisement of my estate. I direct that no expert appraisal be made of my estate unless required by law."
I only know one person in NC and that's my adult son. He'll be my executor. I have a 2nd son, serving in the military. Equal shares go to both sons.
My question: if I leave that clause above in the will, does it not mean that the 2nd son wouldn't get an accounting of my estate?
Can I insert a statement saying, "A yearly accounting will be provided to both beneficiaries" I don't want the expense of having to submit the accounting to the courts, but I surely don't think a beneficiary should serve as executor without an occasional accounting to his brother, even though I trust him. I absolutely think it should be required that one son accounts for the transactions, just for the sake of transparency!
Or do I have it all wrong and the clause is only referring to the courts and is it automatically required that an executor provides an accounting to the beneficiaries? (which that's not what I'm reading on your site).
How do I handle this? If I take that whole clause out, then my son the executor would have to serve WITH bond, get appraisals, etc. No need for that expense and hassle. I guess the summary is: I trust my son as executor, so no need for court involvment but on the other hand, I want an accounting for the 2nd son to remove any thoughts of impropriety or mishandling.
PS: not a large estate. Disbursement would only be my home, some raw land in another state, a car, and remaining checking accounts, paycheck, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back