Question about a judgement and SOL in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienkapsuleas

Hello,
In May of 2007 I had a judgement placed against me by asset acceptance for a credit debt from the summer of 2000.
I had no idea this happened until I saw they froze my astoria federal bank account.
Yesterday I received a threatening call from them that they would garnish my wages and
put me in the street if they had to.
I was informed by a friend of mine who works with a collection agency that the SOL in NY is 6 years so I believe this was over the time limit.
There is no talking to or reasoning with this company at all.
My friend said I should seek some legal advice on this matter, considering he believes this was over the limit.

Can I please have some advice to what I should do about this.

Thank You,
Damien

Hello,
In May of 2007 I had a judgement placed against me by asset acceptance for a credit debt from the summer of 2000.
I had no idea this happened until I saw they froze my astoria federal bank account.
Yesterday I received a threatening call from them that they would garnish my wages and
put me in the street if they had to.
I was informed by a friend of mine who works with a collection agency that the SOL in NY is 6 years so I believe this was over the time limit.
There is no talking to or reasoning with this company at all.
My friend said I should seek some legal advice on this matter, considering he believes this was over the limit.

Can I please have some advice to what I should do about this.

Thank You,
Damien

It would appear that your situation is serious and pressing.
You might wish to do as your friend counseled, and speak to a local attorney.
There is little that our words can do to stop these crooks from robbing you blind.
I'll condense and paraphrase the verbage of these con-artists, "They want to put you in the street."

It seems they obtained a default judgment when you did not appear in court.
You will have to raise the issue that you were not properly served and were given no notice to appear in court when the default judgment was made, and you will want to look into vacating that judgment. With the judgment vacated you will want to argue that the statue of limitations is passed, and was even passed at the time of the first judgment. You will be looking for a dismissal of the case on those grounds, and any funds they have obtained from you should be returned, and the accounts unfrozen.

This is good, I never paid them a cent.
I almost caved in yesterday.
I am seeking and attorney to help me with this.

Thank you both again for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back