Tenant threatening to sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzyj

My tenant recently moved out, and she disagrees with the amount that was taken out of her security deposit. After speaking with her on the phone, she has further threatened to sue in Superior Court for emotional damages caused by invading her privacy (she claims that I came to her house unannounced and peeked in the windows). She also claims that I harassed her by calling several times in a day and not allowing her to call back. Though I did call her several times in a day (on a couple occasions) her voicemail was full so I called back to leave a message.

I plan to attempt a compromise (I am willing to give back some more of her security deposit, but not all of what she is demanding) but if she doesn't accept it, what should i do? I think it's somewhat convenient that she is claiming emotional distress after she moved out, and upon demanding more of her security deposit back. Does she have a case? Should I be contacting a lawyer?

You might be best off to cease contact with her. If she is not happy with how things have turned out then she can go to the court for help... and she will get nowhere with the emotional distress argument. If she can prove that you made unreasonable deductions from the deposit then she might get something from you.
Make sure you can document every penny you deducted from the deposit and you should be fine. Don't waste any more time with her. If she takes it to court then let a judge settle it. If you give her more money in hopes that she will go away then you can probably expect that she will keep making demands until she gets it all back.

jacksgal: Yes, I itemized how many hours were spent on labor and the charge per hour (we did the work ourselves and charged a reasonable $20 an hour), included receipts, and gave a good faith estimate on other charges (based on internet research of multiple websites)

mightymoose: I was thinking of offering her a smaller amount, but making sure she signed a settlement agreement document, so that she can't continue to make demands like this (to attempt to avoid court). Or do you think I should just let her take me to court after all?

If you have documentation to validate your claims to deposit then ignore her. If she sues you she cant win as you have the documentation. follow moose's instructions

I agree with jacksgal and mighty moose.

Suing over emotional distress because she says your peeked in her windows? Oh please; that's crazy even for California. How would she prove any of this in a court of law?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back