Hostile work environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

graysky

I was verbally attacked by the vice president of the company I worked for. He is the owner's son and is taking over. Out of the blue on a Monday morning he called me into his office and begins screaming at me as loud as he could. He was also shouting profanities at me and came out from behind his desk waving his arms. He got right up in my face and at this point I feared it would turn physical. He was so crazy I wasn't sure what he was even talking about. At this point I knew it was necessary to find other employment or risk an even worse attack. Two weeks later he called me in and said I was being demoted from management position. When I tried to resolve the situation he started to go crazy again, so I kept quiet and left his office. I was supposed to talk to him again that day about accepting the new position but I knew he would go crazy again. I had never been in reprimanded in 8 years and have always got along well with his dad. I also knew that he never liked me and if I stayed to accept the new position the attacks would not end. I left at the end of the day and never went back. It has taken me 6months to get over the incidence. I am fighting for unemployment and have a hearing coming soon. Do I have a case for unemployment or is it possible that I could sue?

By all means file for unemployment but I'm not overwhelmingly confident that you will qualify. Yelling and screaming at employees is not very professional but I doubt if it meets the very high standard that is needed to quit and still receive benefits. As for suing, no, nothing you have posted is grounds for a lawsuit.

I have had to be a part of phone interviews for employees trying to get unemployment, and lets just say none ever got approved. It is very hard to get unemployment when leaving a job voluntarily. Good luck though! At least you don't have to deal with the tyrant anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back