Ex-husband is threatening to sue for equity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNichol

I got divorced in July of this year and the distribution of marital assets was filed on October 5th. I did not receive a copy of the final divorce papers from his lawyer until October 25th. I am currently in the process of getting a loan to buy him out of his portion of the home. I had gone to several banks to start the loan process, before the assets were even finalized and filed. I was told that they needed a copy of the divorce decree to complete the loan application process. Now that I have it, it is a waiting game with the banks to see if I'm approved. My ex-husband constantly harasses me and tells me that he is going to file for foreclosure on the judgment, and says he will seize the entire house and me and the children will be kicked out with nothing. Also that he will owe me nothing.

I have every intention of getting him his money, but I don't have the greatest credit (no thanks to him) and am finding it a little harder to get a loan.

So my question is, can he do that? Can I do something about his constant harassment? I'm really stressed out by all this and don't know what to do?

I got divorced in July of this year and the distribution of marital assets was filed on October 5th. I did not receive a copy of the final divorce papers from his lawyer until October 25th. I am currently in the process of getting a loan to buy him out of his portion of the home. I had gone to several banks to start the loan process, before the assets were even finalized and filed. I was told that they needed a copy of the divorce decree to complete the loan application process. Now that I have it, it is a waiting game with the banks to see if I'm approved. My ex-husband constantly harasses me and tells me that he is going to file for foreclosure on the judgment, and says he will seize the entire house and me and the children will be kicked out with nothing. Also that he will owe me nothing.

I have every intention of getting him his money, but I don't have the greatest credit (no thanks to him) and am finding it a little harder to get a loan.

So my question is, can he do that? Can I do something about his constant harassment? I'm really stressed out by all this and don't know what to do?

Sounds like he's blowing smoke to me. What does your order say about the house?

It states that I am to pay him half the appraised value of the home, minus child support he owed me since the seperation began and also future child support that he will owe until Jan 2012. I also owe his father some money that he lent us to pay off the home last year.

It does not state any sort of time frame in which to have this done, but he has been harassing since July when the divorce went through, before all the assests were even settled or filed. It has been less than 30 days since I received the filed court copy. It was filed 10/5 but his lawyer did not actually fax it to me until 10/25.

It states that I am to pay him half the appraised value of the home, minus child support he owed me since the seperation began and also future child support that he will owe until Jan 2012. I also owe his father some money that he lent us to pay off the home last year.

It does not state any sort of time frame in which to have this done, but he has been harassing since July when the divorce went through, before all the assests were even settled or filed. It has been less than 30 days since I received the filed court copy. It was filed 10/5 but his lawyer did not actually fax it to me until 10/25.

You paid off the house last year? Then, there's nothing to foreclose. He can't start foreclosure proceedings against you.

Since there is no time limit in your decree, then he would have a hard time claiming that you're in contempt. He may be able to file a civil suit, but I doubt that would go very far.

Just ignore him. Don't let him stress you out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back