Can we recover annuity proceeds in the US from abroad? Anyone can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnoldmarlo

Greetings to you from the Philippines!

:(Annuity that needs to be recovered.

(Location Los Angeles CA) In 2007 when my Aunt Died, my Late Dad inherited around 150K in annuity(?) or into an annuity(IRA?). A page of the contract is provided below as a link.

My mom who does not join these transactions do not have a very good idea of how this worked out. Unfortunately for my parents, in 2008 SSS decided to cut off the support they are getting and were told to Pay back a huge amount because they have some sort of money in their account (I think its the inherited annuity). Dad had to work double duties at his senior age to pay back SSS instead of them going home to Philippines etc as My dad wanted to see his grandkids to college. This resulted to weakening health and ultimately died in Temple hospital CA this year only.

My mom after taking care of the remains decided to leave for the Philippines immediately but got a chance to drop by Company which to her knowledge (and based on the limited paperwork she is aware of) takes care of the annuity.

She was told by the consultant that the account is closed and two checks were mailed to them (address) in 2008. Mom is not aware of one of the checks but seemed convinces that one of those mentioned were encashed by my Dad before going on a Vacation to the Philippines in 2008, as the amount in one check closely resembles the amount they had when they vacationed here.

She asked the financial adviser (hartford) if she can have a copy of the return checks or records so she can find out where the checks were used (encashed by whom or deposited to where) but the consultant said she has to have court documents etc. (This is handwritten by the consultant in one of the docs below)

Now, my family's concern is to have that information first and foremost, then try to recover them if possible or if they are existing. My mom who is still mourning said that My late Dad never kept secrets from her and she will know if they were used by my Dad or transferred to somewhere else. We really need all the help we can get from anyone willing to help. My Mom who cant even go back to the US to take care of these as we are what you may call underprivileged compared to most people. We really need help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Greetings to you from the Philippines!

:(Annuity that needs to be recovered.

(Location Los Angeles CA) In 2007 when my Aunt Died, my Late Dad inherited around 150K in annuity(?) or into an annuity(IRA?). A page of the contract is provided below as a link.

My mom who does not join these transactions do not have a very good idea of how this worked out. Unfortunately for my parents, in 2008 SSS decided to cut off the support they are getting and were told to Pay back a huge amount because they have some sort of money in their account (I think its the inherited annuity). Dad had to work double duties at his senior age to pay back SSS instead of them going home to Philippines etc as My dad wanted to see his grandkids to college. This resulted to weakening health and ultimately died in Temple hospital CA this year only.

My mom after taking care of the remains decided to leave for the Philippines immediately but got a chance to drop by Company which to her knowledge (and based on the limited paperwork she is aware of) takes care of the annuity.

She was told by the consultant that the account is closed and two checks were mailed to them (address) in 2008. Mom is not aware of one of the checks but seemed convinces that one of those mentioned were encashed by my Dad before going on a Vacation to the Philippines in 2008, as the amount in one check closely resembles the amount they had when they vacationed here.

She asked the financial adviser (hartford) if she can have a copy of the return checks or records so she can find out where the checks were used (encashed by whom or deposited to where) but the consultant said she has to have court documents etc. (This is handwritten by the consultant in one of the docs below)

Now, my family's concern is to have that information first and foremost, then try to recover them if possible or if they are existing. My mom who is still mourning said that My late Dad never kept secrets from her and she will know if they were used by my Dad or transferred to somewhere else. We really need all the help we can get from anyone willing to help. My Mom who cant even go back to the US to take care of these as we are what you may call underprivileged compared to most people. We really need help.

Thanks in advance.

You would be best served to retain the services of an attorney in the US to assist you.
You might speak (via telephone or webchat) with a couple California based attorneys and discuss your needs and concerns.
The initial consultation is usually free.
That way, they can investigate your case, and let you know if a legal remedy exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back