title jumping and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

momofmany

First off im in SC I was looking for a car that i could afford and that ran because my van blew up. I found a car that seemed to run good and look good and the owner said he was willing to take payments So i agreed. The title is in some ladys name and the persone i bought it from's wife had signed the back with the price they paid for the car but they didnt date it as to when they bought it nor did they transfer the title. They told me to sign the 2nd section and i did and so did his wife. but when i looked a it closer it says thats for dealer or wholesale reasignment. Also did a south carolina department of moter vehicles bill of sale paper with all info on it but the sale price. Lastly its been less then a month since i got it I did put inc on it and drove it, was putting off attempting to switch it over till i got paid. I have 45 days. But the car is having probsand was miss reprasented. Can I give it back and ask for a refund? do I have any legal recourse to fix this or make it go away so to speak.

Also it says they paid 400 on the title and thats what I gave them as my down payment they want 1500 for it I also found out after looking the title over its a salvage title and I was told they were the second owner.

First off im in SC I was looking for a car that i could afford and that ran because my van blew up. I found a car that seemed to run good and look good and the owner said he was willing to take payments So i agreed. The title is in some ladys name and the persone i bought it from's wife had signed the back with the price they paid for the car but they didnt date it as to when they bought it nor did they transfer the title. They told me to sign the 2nd section and i did and so did his wife. but when i looked a it closer it says thats for dealer or wholesale reasignment. Also did a south carolina department of moter vehicles bill of sale paper with all info on it but the sale price. Lastly its been less then a month since i got it I did put inc on it and drove it, was putting off attempting to switch it over till i got paid. I have 45 days. But the car is having probsand was miss reprasented. Can I give it back and ask for a refund? do I have any legal recourse to fix this or make it go away so to speak.

Also it says they paid 400 on the title and thats what I gave them as my down payment they want 1500 for it I also found out after looking the title over its a salvage title and I was told they were the second owner.

Normally, an automobile sale between two private parties is an "as is" sale.

That means, you buy the car, you're stuck with the car.

You buy it "as is".

The time to protest the price, is before you do the deal.

The time to investigate the validity of the title, is before you do the deal.

The time to do your detective work, mechanical checks, etc..., is before you do the deal.

Bottom line, you are probably stuck with the car.

You can ASK the sellers, if they will take the car back from you and return your $400.

Most likely, they'll say no!

If they do, you can file a small claims case.
I think it will be almost IMPOSSIBLE for you to prevail, based upon the facts you revealed.

You could return the car, and HOPE they don't come after your for the remaining $1,500.
Should they decide to do that, you might have some small success in small claims.
The judge may just order them to take the car, and rescind the deal.
Or, the judge might direct them to return $100, maybe $200 of your deposit to you. That, however, is MOST UNLIKELY.

Your choices are few.
You made a bad deal.
Never buy a used car until you've had it checked by your own mechanic.
Never buy a used car (from a private seller), until you've read and validated the title.

What about the bill of sale there is no price on it and he did not retain a copy (i didnt ask him to leave it blank to get lower tax) if I put it in my name do I still have to pay him since he was not yhe owner and his wife wasnt tecnicly since they jumped titles. I only paid them what they claimed to have paid on the tile. he cant put a lein on it since they never owned it. I guess my question is (and i already know any one can sue any one as long as they have the fees) but could he come after me for the rest of the money if it was never his car on the books?

What about the bill of sale there is no price on it and he did not retain a copy (i didnt ask him to leave it blank to get lower tax) if I put it in my name do I still have to pay him since he was not yhe owner and his wife wasnt tecnicly since they jumped titles. I only paid them what they claimed to have paid on the tile. he cant put a lein on it since they never owned it. I guess my question is (and i already know any one can sue any one as long as they have the fees) but could he come after me for the rest of the money if it was never his car on the books?

Whether he could come after you isn't the question you should be asking.

Could he prevail IF he did come after you?

I think he'd have a very hard time, IF he did.

That doesn't mean that he won't!

If I had to choose, I'd give him back the old wreck.

How do you know it wasn't stolen?

There could be serious problems with the title.

It appears the entire transaction was very sloppy.

In many states, omitting (or failing to completely fill in the bill of sale) is a crime.

You honed in on why, its about the taxes.

No one can predict what another human will do, no one but God.

If I had to choose, I'd give him back the old wreck.

How do you know it wasn't stolen?

There could be serious problems with the title.

It appears the entire transaction was very sloppy.

But if I give it back should he have to give back the money i gave him or would I have to go to court over it? His wife is the one on the title she signed it on the back and then the other papers as well i dont think they stole it it was in her name because he cant legaly drive. My last question would be is there a way to get someone in trouble for this who would I tell and what would they do? I have since found out he has like 18 cars in other ppls names that he sells. just seems shady that I'd have to give back the POS and be out $400. He more then likely already put the money up his nose but that has nothing to do with this directly.

You could always complain to the police. They might look into this crook's dealings.

If he's as creepy as you say, he may forget it, and not come after you. He's probably too dumb to sue you.

But, he might try to get his money by beating you up, or stealing something of yours.

I'd be very careful.

About the only thing you can do is go to the police and see if the title is legal. Most likely it is. Being that he had you sign it where he did, he may be a dealer, although without a lot. It's not the normal way of doing things, but not illegal either. Other than that the only thing you can do is ask if he will return the car. But if he says no, then you are out. As stated a car sale is as is unless you have something else in writing.

You have to remember that it is a $400 car. It's going to have problems. Anytime you buy a car there is always a chance that it will break down once you get it. Sounds like the guy is shady, but you'd have a real hard time getting your money back.

Even suing him is really not a good option. The only way you would win the case is if he failed to show up for court. But even then, all you would have is a paper saying he owed you money. It's up to you to collect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back