50/50 Custody Restraining Order Against Child's Older Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

john8548

Can a mother of a 15 year old who has 50/50 child custody get a restraining order against the son's older friend without the father's consent in Oklahoma? Can any other legal action happen?
Thanks

Can a mother of a 15 year old who has 50/50 child custody get a restraining order against the son's older friend without the father's consent in Oklahoma? Can any other legal action happen?
Thanks

Would obtaining the order of protection, without involving the father, be effective? If the father didn't know about the order, he'd probably allow the friend to be around your son.

Besides, why not just instruct the friend to stay away from your son when he's in your care?

Is this friend a juvenile or an adult? Is the friend sexually involved with your son? If so, just call the police if the friend is buzzing around the boy, especially if the friend is over age 18. Otherwise, be a mom, and tell the friend stay away from your son.

Thank you for the reply army judge. I made the mistake not mentioning in my first post that I'm that friend of his, not the mother. I am dealing with a closed minded backwards over protective mother. I am 20 in college, he is 15 and we became friends online. We met in person with the father present because the father wanted to meet his son's friends not close them out. I am not sexually involved with my friend as he is like a little brother to me. In the best interest in keeping the mother son relationship, I am asking this question out of curiosity. I do not see him nor am I in contact when the son is at the mother's house. The mother stated that if I were to ever see him in person again she would take legal action (a restraining order). Can the mother do this without the father agreeing?
Thank you again, best wishes

Thank you for the reply army judge. I made the mistake not mentioning in my first post that I'm that friend of his, not the mother. I am dealing with a closed minded backwards over protective mother. I am 20 in college, he is 15 and we became friends online. We met in person with the father present because the father wanted to meet his son's friends not close them out. I am not sexually involved with my friend as he is like a little brother to me. In the best interest in keeping the mother son relationship, I am asking this question out of curiosity. I do not see him nor am I in contact when the son is at the mother's house. The mother stated that if I were to ever see him in person again she would take legal action (a restraining order). Can the mother do this without the father agreeing?

An adult is foolish to befriend a child that is NOT a relative.
Many, many, many accusations and problems could flow your way.
Yes, you could get in significant and serious LEGAL trouble by befriending this child.

If I were you, I'd forget this friendship.
If you persist, it is at your peril.

If Mom says no - that's the end of the matter.

She does not need Dad's permission to file a restraining order against you.

I would also refrain from denigrating this child's mother in such a way, too.

Thank you army judge and Proserpina for the advice.
I have already made the decision to end the friendship or extremely limit it. Both of you do not know the circumstances but unfortunately when you look at it from a rational point of view, there is no forward. The father really likes me, the mother does not. If the father fights for what is right I will become a pawn in all of this and in the end for my future, it is not worth it.
I disagree with your statement army judge as I have had many friends when I was younger that were adults and as long as my mother was ok with it, then there was no problem. Those friends have proved to be very important people in my life. Age should have no barrier in a friendship. I have friends as young as 10 and as old as 70 and have no problems except this one. This is the first and hopefully only time that a parent has made false assumptions on me because of her irrationality, closed mindedness, narrow viewpoints, and over protection. She wouldn't even meet me and get to know me herself before making such absurd false assumptions unlike the father. This has both hit my friend and myself hard and its sad to see that this happened. Forgetting this friendship is easier said than done (because of how close we were), but I have chosen to do so anyways. I am rational in that aspect. BTW Proserpina, I have only showed my utmost respect to the mother. Thank you again for both of your responses.

Last edited:
Thank you army judge and Proserpina for the advice.
I have already made the decision to end the friendship or extremely limit it. Both of you do not know the circumstances but unfortunately when you look at it from a rational point of view, there is no forward. The father really likes me, the mother does not. If the father fights for what is right I will become a pawn in all of this and in the end for my future, it is not worth it.
I disagree with your statement army judge as I have had many friends when I was younger that were adults and as long as my mother was ok with it, then there was no problem. Those friends have proved to be very important people in my life. Age should have no barrier in a friendship. I have friends as young as 10 and as old as 70 and have no problems except this one. This is the first and hopefully only time that a parent has made false assumptions on me because of her irrationality, closed mindedness, narrow viewpoints, and over protection. She wouldn't even meet me and get to know me herself before making such absurd false assumptions unlike the father. This has both hit my friend and myself hard and its sad to see that this happened. Forgetting this friendship is easier said than done (because of how close we were), but I have chosen to do so anyways. I am rational in that aspect. BTW Proserpina, I have only showed my utmost respect to the mother. Thank you again for both of your responses.

You can call it a friendship, the mother might call it something else.

Your opinion doesn't matter.

The mother might see you as a potential predator.

Personally, what you decide is of no consequence to me.

But, it could very well be most consequential to you!

Choose wisely!

I have chosen not to continue the friendship. The mother does see me as one. I was just curious that was all. Thank you again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back