Consumer Law, Warranties What is the legal age to sign a contract? We want out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWatkins

My 17 year old signed a one year contract for a gym membership. He can't afford it. We want to get out of the contract. In Utah, is he responsible for it? How can we cancel or void it, if I (the parent)..and he.... wants out. And keep from being sent to collections for the balance owing?

My 17 year old signed a one year contract for a gym membership. He can't afford it. We want to get out of the contract. In Utah, is he responsible for it? How can we cancel or void it, if I (the parent)..and he.... wants out. And keep from being sent to collections for the balance owing?

Your son is very lucky.

The contract is voidable.

In Utah, minors can only be held to contracts for necessities.

You and I know, a gym membership isn't a necessity.

He simply needs to notify the gym that as a minor he wants out of the contract.

They might become incensed and say he can't.

They shouldn't.

But, if they do, you'll have to take them to court; if a lawsuit becomes necessary.

Bound for necessaries; otherwise, contracts valid unless disaffirmed within reasonable time after reaching age of majority and restoration of consideration (15-2-2, et seq.); minor 16 or over may contract for insurance (31A-21-103)

http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/minors-and-the-law/utah/

Thank you! One more question: What are our options if they send the account to collections? I would imagine this will come before taking us to court.

Thank you! One more question: What are our options if they send the account to collections? I would imagine this will come before taking us to court.

That would be very troublesome for junior.

Legally, they have no choice, but to fix it and allow junior to void the contract.

If they resist or refuse, hot foot it to an attorney.

It isn't wise to argue with a fool or a crook!

You MUST fix this before that happens.

Last edited:
Thank you...

Thank you for that additional information. I have been reading the statute as well, and appreciate your insight. What you said agrees with what I was thinking, and I really want to make sure I'm in the right in case they are not very nice about it! :yes: So thank you! Another interesting this that I learned is that it seems that if he continues to use the gym after he's 18, he may have ratified the contract, and he may not be able to void it then either. So wish me luck...here we go! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back