Unpaid tickets in another state

Status
Not open for further replies.

crybllrd

I recently moved to Texas from Montana for graduate school. I have a few unpaid tickets (expired registration, no insurance x2, and ran a stop sign) in Montana.
I don't have a job here in Texas yet and I am anticipating not being able to pay the fines for at least 6 months.
If I get stopped here in Texas will these unpaid tickets pose a problem (arrest or otherwise), or should I be safe for six months to a year considering these tickets are out of state?

crybllrd said:
I recently moved to Texas from Montana for graduate school. I have a few unpaid tickets (expired registration, no insurance x2, and ran a stop sign) in Montana.
I don't have a job here in Texas yet and I am anticipating not being able to pay the fines for at least 6 months.
If I get stopped here in Texas will these unpaid tickets pose a problem (arrest or otherwise), or should I be safe for six months to a year considering these tickets are out of state?

Generally speaking, states will not extradite for traffic offenses. But, Montana has (or will) suspend your Montana's DL. If that happens or has happened, if you get stopped in Texas (or anywhere) you'll be arrested for driving while suspended or revoked. That will be a new charge in the state that arrested you.

It isn't smart to NOT take care of the tickets. Borrow the money and take care of it. Check to see if your license has been suspended or revoked by Montana. If it has, don't drive until you've fixed your problems. Otherwise, you'll develop big problems here in Texas, too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back