Ask a Legal Question

Thanks

Unpaid tickets in another state

Jurisdiction / State: Texas

I recently moved to Texas from Montana for graduate school. I have a few unpaid tickets (expired registration, no insurance x2, and ran a stop sign) in Montana.
    I don't have a job here in Texas yet and I am anticipating not being able to pay the fines for at least 6 months.
    If I get stopped here in Texas will these unpaid tickets pose a problem (arrest or otherwise), or should I be safe for six months to a year considering these tickets are out of state?

2. Super Moderator Samaritan & Scholar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,576 Posts

Unpaid tickets in another state

Quote Originally Posted by crybllrd
    I recently moved to Texas from Montana for graduate school. I have a few unpaid tickets (expired registration, no insurance x2, and ran a stop sign) in Montana.
    I don't have a job here in Texas yet and I am anticipating not being able to pay the fines for at least 6 months.
    If I get stopped here in Texas will these unpaid tickets pose a problem (arrest or otherwise), or should I be safe for six months to a year considering these tickets are out of state?
    Generally speaking, states will not extradite for traffic offenses. But, Montana has (or will) suspend your Montana's DL. If that happens or has happened, if you get stopped in Texas (or anywhere) you'll be arrested for driving while suspended or revoked. That will be a new charge in the state that arrested you.

It isn't smart to NOT take care of the tickets. Borrow the money and take care of it. Check to see if your license has been suspended or revoked by Montana. If it has, don't drive until you've fixed your problems. Otherwise, you'll develop big problems here in Texas, too!!!

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the info.
    I will get it taken care of as soon as possible.